IHS Doncaster Show - April 2019 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > General > Reptile Shows & Breeder Meetings > IHS Doncaster

Old 06-11-2018, 10:37 PM
Premier Citizen
Default IHS Doncaster Show - April 2019

So, who has seen this latest news from the IHS?

Unfortunately, I'm at work so can't get a link to the facebook page, but they have announced a new Doncaster Show on 7th April 2019, at Doncaster Racecourse.

What are your thoughts on this?

Personally, I'm in two minds. As a trader/retailer at the show, it's great. More opportunity to display my goods, make sales and meet customers.

But it doesn't half kill me getting prepped and going, I'm still not recovered from the weekend! haha!
arachnid_666 likes this.

www.bioactiveherps.co.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2018, 09:21 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarron View Post
So, who has seen this latest news from the IHS?

Unfortunately, I'm at work so can't get a link to the facebook page, but they have announced a new Doncaster Show on 7th April 2019, at Doncaster Racecourse.

What are your thoughts on this?

Personally, I'm in two minds. As a trader/retailer at the show, it's great. More opportunity to display my goods, make sales and meet customers.

But it doesn't half kill me getting prepped and going, I'm still not recovered from the weekend! haha!
Several thoughts on this including how does this look and cause a reaction from those who do not attend and oppose the show, plus shops selling reptiles in the close regions from which people travel to the show.
is it the straw that breaks the back? How are Doncaster council going to respond? As you have plainly stated you are a trader/retailer. the latter term giving confirmation to many of the shows opponents. The show has grown massively since it started in the 2000's and from recent visits it looks like a retail market. Indeed, the turnover of animal sales taken by some suggests to me that some sellers should be VAT registered and they are well beyond being classified as hobbyists. Plenty more thoughts on this but have to go to work to add more for the moment.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:51 AM
Super Regular

From what I read about it the main reason was the length of time between the last show of the year and the first show the following year, they are all clustered towards the end of the year and it would be nice to not have to wait that long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2018, 01:22 PM
Ultra Citizen

I am not a fan of the shows if I am honest - which may seem rather hypocritical since I attended the June meeting (although this was my first) and may book a table for next years September and/or November meetings.

I am just not a fan of the whole show scene and have several issues with the way it is run and policed. Excluding those who do not sell livestock, it is meant to be a breeders meeting, now for me this means small time breeders selling surplus animals that they themselves have bred - NOT someone who goes to Europe the week before and buys animals with the purpose of selling at Doncaster. Nor should WC animals be sold at the show as they have not been bred by the small scale breeder and finally nor should breeders who have literally hundreds of females producing young each year numbering in the 100s or 1000s - this again to me is not a hobby breeder and goes against the spirit of the show.

Then you have the welfare issues, conflict of interests (I shall say no more) and the fact breeders are not allowed to give away a caresheet.

Given these limitations I would much rather simply have a table with pre-sold animals and a small selection of other animals simply showcasing my breeding projects. Then again, to do this I run the risk of bringing nasty 'hangers on' back into my closed collection so we shall see how this all pans out.
-----------------------------------------------------------
European Studbook Foundation
www.studbooks.eu
UK Coordinator & Studbook keeper for the Smaug giganteus & Ouroborus cataphractus

CAVEAT: any opinions expressed are my own and based on my own experiences and observations - whether you agree or disagree with them is up to you!!

IMPORTANT: if the health of your animal is giving you cause for concern, absolutely seek a second opinion from fellow forum members - your first opinion however should be that of a suitably qualified veterinarian!!

EXPECTED 2018: SNAKES: 100% Het. (Heterozygous) Toffee & Reduced Patterned Royal Pythons. LIZARDS: Lined Day Geckos
Old 08-11-2018, 04:56 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry python View Post
Several thoughts on this including how does this look and cause a reaction from those who do not attend and oppose the show, plus shops selling reptiles in the close regions from which people travel to the show.
is it the straw that breaks the back? How are Doncaster council going to respond? As you have plainly stated you are a trader/retailer. the latter term giving confirmation to many of the shows opponents. The show has grown massively since it started in the 2000's and from recent visits it looks like a retail market. Indeed, the turnover of animal sales taken by some suggests to me that some sellers should be VAT registered and they are well beyond being classified as hobbyists. Plenty more thoughts on this but have to go to work to add more for the moment.
Just to clarify, I DO NOT sell live animals, other than small inverts/custodians. As a retailer we are not allowed to, and so we just sell live plants, decor, etc. Although, it is known that some retailers take advantage of their general anonymity to the organisers and do book tables to sell their livestock. I do not agree with this in the slightest.

There are many issues with the shows, though my reasoning for this post was more a tongue in cheek post about how knackering it is for me to prepare for and recover from, whilst also highlighting to people that there is another show available now.

www.bioactiveherps.co.uk
Old 08-11-2018, 05:18 PM
Ultra Citizen

Apologies Tarron for hijacking this thread to voice my own dissatisfaction.

Quote:
There are many issues with the shows, though my reasoning for this post was more a tongue in cheek post about how knackering it is for me to prepare for and recover from, whilst also highlighting to people that there is another show available now.
Tarron likes this.
www.studbooks.eu
UK Coordinator & Studbook keeper for the Smaug giganteus & Ouroborus cataphractus

CAVEAT: any opinions expressed are my own and based on my own experiences and observations - whether you agree or disagree with them is up to you!!

IMPORTANT: if the health of your animal is giving you cause for concern, absolutely seek a second opinion from fellow forum members - your first opinion however should be that of a suitably qualified veterinarian!!

EXPECTED 2018: SNAKES: 100% Het. (Heterozygous) Toffee & Reduced Patterned Royal Pythons. LIZARDS: Lined Day Geckos
Old 08-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Premier Citizen

It's OK Fraser, this is a forum, we all have opinions and are free to air them as we see them.

One thing I am intrigued to find out is how the 'Voluntary Ban' on deleterious genes went in November, and whether it will be maintained/extended next year. I don't feel the ban affected the number of people at the show, either selling or buying. In fact, September was the busiest i've seen in the 3 years i've been.

I do hope they don't pander to a minority of vocal breeders that moaned en masse last year

www.bioactiveherps.co.uk
Old 08-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls View Post
From what I read about it the main reason was the length of time between the last show of the year and the first show the following year, they are all clustered towards the end of the year and it would be nice to not have to wait that long.
Whilst not exclusive most of the herps I have had follow a spring/summer schedule for producing offspring. Also I can't recall exactly but dozens upon dozens of folk tell me there is nowt much available at June show because it is too early in the breeding season. Hence why shows are toward the back end of the year. I can only assume a April show will give sellers the opportunity to pass on their clapped out ex-breeders plus WC stuff creeping in from the wholesalers.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:03 AM
Ultra Citizen

I hope they stand firm on this ban on particular morphs.

Quote:
It's OK Fraser, this is a forum, we all have opinions and are free to air them as we see them.

One thing I am intrigued to find out is how the 'Voluntary Ban' on deleterious genes went in November, and whether it will be maintained/extended next year. I don't feel the ban affected the number of people at the show, either selling or buying. In fact, September was the busiest i've seen in the 3 years i've been.

I do hope they don't pander to a minority of vocal breeders that moaned en masse last year
Tarron likes this.
www.studbooks.eu

Old 09-11-2018, 10:50 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry python View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls View Post
Whilst not exclusive most of the herps I have had follow a spring/summer schedule for producing offspring. Also I can't recall exactly but dozens upon dozens of folk tell me there is nowt much available at June show because it is too early in the breeding season. Hence why shows are toward the back end of the year. I can only assume a April show will give sellers the opportunity to pass on their clapped out ex-breeders plus WC stuff creeping in from the wholesalers.
Ah yeah this is a good point, I hadn't thought as I'm not a breeder, I guess it would give a chance to sell animals that they didn't manage to sell at the November show as well but yeah what you said makes sense.

Tags
doncaster , ihs , reptile , show