hi - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > General > Introductions
Register RFUK Articles Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Old 19-12-2018, 10:41 AM
Egg
Default hi

hi there,
joining the forum from Scotland.
I kept a few different reptiles as pets and bred bearded dragons many moons ago but drifted away from it due to work and family commitments.
looking to get back into the hobby but not 100% decided on species.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-12-2018, 11:02 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennybhoy View Post
hi there,

joining the forum from Scotland.

I kept a few different reptiles as pets and bred bearded dragons many moons ago but drifted away from it due to work and family commitments.

looking to get back into the hobby but not 100% decided on species.

Welcome !!

Hint for your new acquisition ..long and slithery ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 19-12-2018, 12:21 PM
Egg

nothing bigger than a ball python, that would be my limit lol
Zincubus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-12-2018, 02:02 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennybhoy View Post
nothing bigger than a ball python, that would be my limit lol

Perfect choice as long as you can get a good eater ..
I suggest buying off someone in the forum rather than a reptile store ( unless you trust them of course)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 19-12-2018, 03:10 PM
Super Regular

In my mind the biggest determining factor is whether you want something handleable and accessible or something as a display animal where the focus is on perfecting the viv and environment and then just observing.

I started off with snakes wanting one I could handle regularly but have since swung right to the other end where Iím happy with minimal handling provided they have a great viv.

After you decided that then you can start talking species. At least how I would consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19-12-2018, 04:51 PM

Old 19-12-2018, 05:49 PM
Egg

to be honest im not major confident with snakes as a whole but quite comfortable with ball pythons for some reason.

i 100% aim to have a breeding project to get into line breeding and genetics as i got into it a bit with the bearded dragons and found it very interesting so ball pythons and leopard geckos are 2 on the list just now although the more research i have been doing the more i feel there might be enough people concentrating on them.
bearded dragons need a tad too much room per animal for me to provide the proper living conditions and house enough animals to work with the colour and pattern morphs. "had a bad experience importing 4 high colour morphs from America leaving me thousands out of pocket but like to think im wiser now.
i feel a breeding project of a species that will be happy in a rack system so i can keep enough numbers to work with the morphs plus a smaller group of a more rare/relatively new or difficult to breed in captivity lizard where the goal would just be healthy vigourous babies.

the first a guilty pleasure as i love all the different colours reptiles and pattern reptiles display and the second an effort to really help establish something new or rare within the hobby.

i do have an animal background and have done a few years training at college in animal health husbandry and reproduction although everything i know about reptiles has been self taught out of interest and curiosity along the way.
Old 22-12-2018, 02:59 PM
Super Regular

Well the only thing I will say here is breeding morphs is absolutely like playing the lottery. For the majority of amateur breeders youíll just find yourself in a hole when it comes to finances, because some of the big breeders will be several years ahead of you in the pursuit of the next paint job.
The aim for most amateurs is the pray for that one unicorn to appear in a litter that a bigger breeder will pay for.

Add that to the fact that it seems to me that thereís been a lull in the market for ridiculously specific morphs recently. Think some of it is related to the nail in the coffin of the spider gene meaning a large number of entrepreneurs suddenly being left with dozens of animals no longer worth a fraction of the investment.

And if at the end of it youíre looking for a rack setup with a self confessed minimal enjoyment of reptiles Iím not sure what the attraction is? Like if you have a successful clutch and a few of the offspring are toads and feel that your fingers look an awful lot like mice will you be willing to go through the exciting process of being nipped at just to keep them in trays for years?

I donít want this to sound like me being a bit of a grumpy arse just throwing out negatives. But if youíre in this to make some money Iíll recommend that royals specifically are not where your head ought to be at. A few decent vivs with some of the more obscure colubrids would be far more likely to bring return on investment. The money I wouldnít spend on a triple striped half albino King Kong blend royal would fly from my pocket for an unrelated pair of rhino rats or their Eurasian equivalents.

I donít know if that was useful or just drivel to be honest bud. Just wanted to throw out some advice. Merry Christmas. Have a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Egg

no definitely not just drivel and I appreciate the input mate.
we have decided to go with leopard geckos,
although I have only ever had good experiences with ball pythons its still a snake at the end of the day and my partner doesn't like the idea either.
we are both total comfortable with the leos and they are absoloutly stunning.
rather than a racking system I have went and bought a nice big dresser I have started converting into a shelving display cabinet so we can use small clear tanks.
as for profit? I run my own landscaping business and that's where my living comes from. im genuinely excited about keeping and breeding lizards again and playing with colours patterns n things interests me.
im thinking about ordering from ron tremper and having them couriered up here from the hamm show in march.
yes I understand the likes of ron tremper and others are and will always be a cut above and always be streets ahead in pioneering new stuff but I really don't see that as a reason not to get involved and enjoy having a go.
I really don't know about markets and what prices were as to what they are now but I do know with what its looking like costing me to get really stunning animals to start with and enjoy I cant lose out surely?
its going to be a hobby so I wont be counting what I spend out on electric or feeding or the price I pay for starting stock. no hobby breeder can keep all the young he produces so I will have really nice young leos I have to move on at some point and as im not looking to make a living from my reptiles anything coming in the way would help a little.

I also pick up a large glass display cabinet tomorrow morning which I plan to make a few changes to and hopefully have something nice in there in the future, im thinking a fiji iguana would be amazing
Old 22-12-2018, 04:49 PM
Egg

just took a look at rhino rats...stunning looking snakes.
I can see how a snake lover would love them. deffo not for us lol.
something rare and different but 4 legs please haha.

merry xmas to you too