what to feed me bearded dragon - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards > Lizard Care Sheets

Old 03-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Default what to feed me bearded dragon

hi all getting stuck on what to give it in insect wish as at min i feed many crickets and mealworms but heard should not feed them mealworms everyday and the same for waxworms
eats lots mixed veg and fruit its only 3 months old
any hints and tips would be great
thank you guys !!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2008, 10:34 PM
5 Star Member

calcigrubs are a gr8 staple for a baby, crickets are good and small locusts - have you thought about roaches - the small ones are only a couple of mm's was thinking about trying my 3 1/2 month old on them. Mealworms shouldnt be fed regularly due to high livels of chitin makes it hard for the baby to digest and waxies are full of fat with little nutritional value so only as a treat - butterworms have quite a high level of calcium and are soft bodied and are better to use more regularly but not exactly as a staple but these can work out quite expensive
Old 08-07-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal addict View Post
calcigrubs are a gr8 staple for a baby, crickets are good and small locusts - have you thought about roaches - the small ones are only a couple of mm's was thinking about trying my 3 1/2 month old on them. Mealworms shouldnt be fed regularly due to high livels of chitin makes it hard for the baby to digest and waxies are full of fat with little nutritional value so only as a treat - butterworms have quite a high level of calcium and are soft bodied and are better to use more regularly but not exactly as a staple but these can work out quite expensive

thank you i have ordered some calcigrubs today lets hope he loves them all i need to do is get a cricket catcher i think as my flip flops are nearly hole cricket guts now that i splat them when they get out

Last edited by sarah1981; 08-07-2008 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 10:49 PM
5 Star Member

lol!!! I know that feeling - do you chill them in the fridge for 10-15 mins as well - does tend to make it easier to catch them and they dont jump so much until the warm back up - good luck with the calcigrubs - mine loves them
Old 10-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal addict View Post

Didn't think calci-grubs could be used as a staple in exchange for crickets as they lack protein for the lizard, somone correct me if im wrong.

Crickets offer everything for lizards, same goes for locust as they are really good for them and are natural to eat also offer the lizard to get a much better experience being in captivity and will improve hunting skills.

Lew.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:49 PM
5 Star Member

sorry perhaps I didnt explain myself (I tend not to lol) I mean a staple alongside crickets - due to my working hours I cant feed crickets twice/thrice a day and wait for them to eat and remove the uneaten ones so as I'm going to work I feed worms (calcigubs,the odd butterworm here and there and occassionally buffalo worms/mealies for a change) and leave them in a bowl that they cant escape from and then when I come home from work I feed crickets mostly and locusts as a treat day so say 20 - 30 worms in one feed then however many crickets/locusts in the following feeds, and both mine are doing really well on this regime - it would work out too expensive to feed calcigrubs as a staple in every meal lol - hope that makes sense and its great he/shes eating fruit and veg - more heavily veg !!