Plated lizard Care sheet - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards > Lizard Care Sheets

Old 22-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Premier Citizen
Red face Plated lizard Care sheet

I am putting up this care sheet for any one wishing to keep the majorly over-looked plated lizards.These lizards can be kept in a community with bearded dragons, however you must also provide adequate items it needs.

My plated lizard is similar to the one in the photo below. I have no experience breeding these as of yet but I do have a breeding pair in together.

These animals although are quite fast and elusive, can be tamed and will tolerate handling. they do not bite but may use their tail to whip and also defecate on you!

Here is a decent care sheet I found:

Common Name: Plated Lizards

Scientific name: Gerrhosaurus

Types:
G. flavigularis - Yellow-throated plated lizard.
G. major - Tawny ( sudan ) plated lizard.
G. validus - Giant plated lizard.

Life expectancy: They can live up to 10 years in captivity.

Size: 16 to 28 inches dependant on sub species.

Sexing: Males have obvious femoral pores as adults on their hind legs you will notice a "comb" like texture. As hatchlings they can be difficult to sex.

Activity Cycle: Active during the day, but like to hide from the sun, so provide burrows and dark areas for them in their vivs.

Position in Viv: Plated lizards are diggers, but also like to bask.

Humidity Requirements: They require a dry environment, but must have access to a reasonable water bowl.

Temperatures and Heating Equipment: Use overhead heating, such as a ceramic heating element on a thermostat to provide a basking temperature of 105F, an ambient daytime temperature of 85-88F and night time temperatures of about 75F.

UV Lighting: UVB full spectrum lighting is required and should be on for 12 - 14 hrs in summer and 10 hours in winter.

Housing: Minimum of a 4x2x2 enclosure

Substrate: You should provide a mixture of soil, sand and bark for them to dig in.

Decor: Stones to bask on, branches and twigs and hides. Another good idea is to provide underground burrows using drain pipe, but this can make them a little difficult to find. They love cork bark caves!

Diet: They are omnivores and eat a variety worms, crickets, mouse pinks, and a variety of fruit and vegetables.

Water Supply: A large sturdy water bowl (such as a cat litter tray) should be provided at all times. This should be changed out regularly as you lizard will drink, bathe and defecate in this.

General Ease of Care: Because of their slow and docile nature, once the correct husbandry requirements have been established, they make relatively easy pets to look after.

Additional Information: Plated lizards are native to southern and eastern Africa and inhabit rocky semi-open dry areas. They are relatively slow moving docile creatures, making them excellent pets.

Courtesy of Debbie Pendlebury from DNS Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictly_scales View Post
I reckon the danger is that if the Boa tightened round his neck, he may drop the controller, lose the game, and in a massive fit of nerd rage, hurl the snake across the room before bursting into tears, dying his hair black and self harming for 3 hours.

Proud owner of many Retics, Burmese and African Rocks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Dave W Send a message via Skype™ to Dave W

great care sheet i used one from a different size when setting up my plated viv

temp wise there is a varying difference between different carsheets

i have read several care sheets and they pretty much all range from 90-110 so we have ours set at 100

great job and needs to go in to the care sheet section

Old 23-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Premier Citizen

Ahh I see, yeah temps can vary I agree. Thanks for it being moved who ever did

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictly_scales View Post
I reckon the danger is that if the Boa tightened round his neck, he may drop the controller, lose the game, and in a massive fit of nerd rage, hurl the snake across the room before bursting into tears, dying his hair black and self harming for 3 hours.

Proud owner of many Retics, Burmese and African Rocks!