Longtailed Lizard Caresheet (Takydromus sexlineatus) - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards > Lizard Care Sheets

Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Premier Citizen
Default Longtailed Lizard Caresheet (Takydromus sexlineatus)

Asian Longtailed Grass Lizard (Takydromus sexlineatus) Care Sheet

Habitat
Longtails inhabit a large swathe of South-East Asia, from India to Indonesia.
In the wild they mainly live on tall grasses, climbing along the tops of grass in search of prey. They sleep at the base of grass stems, which is also where they lay their eggs.
Description
Adult Longtails are around 30cm from nose to tip of tail, with only about 6cm of their total length being head and body, their tail being 4-6 times as long as their body! Entire lizard appears spindly, with a body about 1cm in diameter.
Sexing is fairly easy in this species once maturity is reached as males will have a bulge at the base of the tail (where it joins the body).
Colour and patterning varies, usually through shades of brown from beige to dark brown on top, with a near-white underbelly. Spots and up to six lateral stripes are also sometimes apparent.
Young hatchlings and some older specimens also sometimes have a greenish hue.
Handling is possible, although they are very skittish.

Care in Captivity
Housing
A vertically oriented vivarium is ideal for this species as they will spend most of their time off the ground. I use a glass vivarium with a mesh top (for ventilation). A minimum for two lizards is ideally a 45x45x45cm or thereabouts, although bigger is always better. I currently use a 60x45x60cm ExoTerra for one male and two females, although theoretically you could keep up to five in this. If using the ExoTerra terrarium I would recommend removing the polystyrene back, as the Longtails have an annoying habit of getting stuck behind it. It is recommended that only one male is kept per tank. Although they are not renowned for being territorial, in my eyes it is safer to reduce conflict wherever possible.
Temperatures
Longtails should be kept at a daytime temperature of 24-30°C (75-85°F) ambient, with a basking spot of around 35-38°C (95-100°F). For a basking spot I use a 40watt spotlight bulb kept the right distance from the basking site to maintain the correct temperature. I base my temperatures on the average temperatures of Thailand, which is about in the middle of the Longtails range.
UV
UV lighting must be provided, either a 5.0 Reptisun or equivalent, or preferably a 7.0 Arcadia equivalent (Diffuse jungle light plus normal sunlight). Do not keep on top of a mesh/glass top as this significantly reduces the amount of light which makes it to your lizards. This should be provided for around 12 hours per day, with no ambient light after dark (no heat bulbs/room lights). Cover the tank if necessary.
Substrate
As substrate I use ExoTerra/Lucky Reptile Humus and am also going to use a moss layer on top. This is ideal to help keep the humidity in the required region of 70-80%. Bark chips are another alternative, although not recommended because of the higher risk of impaction.
Décor
As much as possible! Longtails love to climb and will make use of every inch. Use branches (I use apple tree branches sterilised by freezing/oven baking), cork bark, fake vines and fake/real plants. I use fake plants with suckers to attach to the wall
Feeding and Water
A shallow water dish should be provided to prevent drowning and to increase evaporation. I also keep my water bowl near the basking spot to maximise evaporation. Longtails may drink from a water bowl although usually prefer to drink droplets off plants and the tank itself, so a daily misting is recommended.
I feed my Longtails crickets gut-loaded and dusted with calcium weekdays, and dusted with Nutrobal on weekends. Variety is not necessary, although Longtails can eat (in addition to crickets as a staple) mini mealworms, wingless fruit flies and the odd wax worm, however mine will only eat crickets and wax worms.
Breeding
Many sites claim this species is hard to breed, but I have found that when keeping them as stated mine breed readily. Natural breeding season is April-June and the eggs take around 4 or 5 weeks to hatch. My Longtails usually lay their eggs under a plant, with 2-4 being a normal clutch size. Occasionally the females have been rather stupid and laid eggs under the heatlamp. If the eggs are to be move to an incubator they must be kept the same way up they are found. Some people mark them before moving to ensure correct rotation. Eggs should be kept at around 30-32°C with humidity at around 75%. Do not keep the eggs in with the adults, or there is a risk that when they emerge they will be eaten.
When the eggs hatch the baby emerges as a miniature of the adult, around 5-6cm total length. They will need to be fed daily on pinhead crickets and/or wingless fruit flies. I kept mine in old cricket tubs disinfected and with a layer of vermiculite for substrate. A milk bottle lid works well as a water bowl, and toilet roll tube cut into a dome makes an excellent hide. Preferably of course, if you can provide a vertically oriented viv for them this would be ideal. Don’t forget to dust crickets and ensure they are able to get close to a UV tube. Mist daily.
Enjoy your lively new pets!

Thanks for reading, from Amanda!
king snake daz likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Premier Citizen

Any comments?

Old 12-05-2010, 02:20 AM
Premier Citizen

nice caresheet! , would you mind if i print off a few copys for work as we have 4 adults in atm , there awesome lizards and very very greedy lol .
if had the room i would set up my spare 90 x 60 exo terra i have up in the loft and buy the them all lol
ps you have ur name added it fame at last eh lol

http://www.facebook.com/steveo.adams#!/steveo.adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior View Post
nah you were just the fat bulling kid who lost his virginity to a jam doughnut
Old 12-05-2010, 02:27 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokay View Post
nice caresheet! , would you mind if i print off a few copys for work as we have 4 adults in atm , there awesome lizards and very very greedy lol .
if had the room i would set up my spare 90 x 60 exo terra i have up in the loft and buy the them all lol
ps you have ur name added it fame at last eh lol
had to get my name in print somewhere!
Feel free to use it, but make sure people double check things...

Old 21-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Premier Citizen

Attention seeking bump

Old 21-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Banned
Reviews: 1

i thought this care sheet was rather good
clearly stating facts yet adding in our own personal preferences and touch
also not overly complicated like other make their care sheet
Well done
(i would submit this as a review in the comparison shopping section)
Old 22-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Premier Citizen

How do I do that?
This keeps getting buried by people posting in the wrong section...

Old 22-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned
Reviews: 1

go to the very top of the page and there will be a few tabs saying home forum comaprison shopping
click on the comparison shopping 1 then go to the lizard sectiona and look for the desired lizard you want to revieww then copy paste your care sheet and submit
Old 23-05-2010, 02:17 AM
Premier Citizen
Reviews: 7

Just want to add that, you really have to watch these guys as Adults and Babies. They are fast as lightning and love the oppertunity to get free!
Old 24-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Premier Citizen

Mmm, 'tis great fun chasing the around the living room with a tub! After a while you tend to get a technique in place to keep them in, the only real escapes I've had was during medication time..