Bearded Dragon - Turning Her Nose Up At Dusted Food - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 21-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Hatchling
Default Bearded Dragon - Turning Her Nose Up At Dusted Food

Hi All,

You may recall that my 7-8 month old female bearded dragon is a bit of a fussy eater. She has always stuffed her face with live food and has been very fussy with veg and greens.

She is now in a routine where she will eat greens every day or so so I've got over that issue. Unfortunately she has now started giving me grief with dusted food.

I feed her large crickets, locusts, meal worms, morio worms and occasional wax worms and try and mix it up as much as possible.

In the last few days she has started refusing dusted food. I use Nutrobal twice a week and Calci-Dust on 3 or 4 of the other days of the week. Giving either 1-2 days break. I do put a small amount on her veg each day as well.

She will still stuff her face with undusted live food.

Anyone got any tips on how I can get her to take dusted live food again?. Just a little concerned that she isn't getting enough Calcium etc.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Super Citizen

Is it possible shes about to shed? Most beardies go off food round this time.if you have always dusted live food then i doubt they have a problem with it being dusted..beardies can be a little fussy with food..mine used to go mental for dubia roaches his favourite food by far..now his favourite is morio worms..dubia get eaten last.just persevere,im sure she will eat when she needs to..

Daz

What ' you looking at!
Old 21-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Hatchling

She's not showing any signs of shedding at all.

I'm 99% certain it is the dust she is turning her nose up at. So much so that she licked a dusted morio worm, and walked off in disgust! She then found herself a couple of meal worms in her veg bowl and immediately polished them off.

Just before lights out I also had to pick out a couple of dusted crickets which she was ignoring.

I'll keep trying, don't think she is missing out too much as she is getting dusted veg down herself and from time to time will eat thinly covered meal worms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Ultra Citizen

if she will eat dusted veg then she should manage with that, mines the opposite wont touch dusted salal but will have dusted bugs,

you can either just give supplements on her salad praps uping the dusting so she gets a type of dust every day

or only offer live when it is dusted, her want of bugs will override her dislike of the dust

ignore that^ it says on my thing

1.0.0 Tri-colored Jack Russell "Marley"
1.0.0 Black Shorthair Cat "OddBod"
0.1.0 Carrion Crow "Evil"

1.0.0 Normal bearded Dragon "Drago"

1.2.0 African Black Millipede
0.2.0 African Olive Millipede
3.6.6 Ghost mantids
0.1.1 common house spider

R.I.P Midnight you will be missed by everyone,
even the cat, though im sure he will try to hide it.

R.I.P Cheech, run free and wait for us, ill look after Marley until we catch up xx
Old 21-10-2013, 10:05 PM
5 Star Member

you could try repashy calcium plus its a all in one dusting just use it with every feed they also do a supper veggie to to dust the veg with have a look don't have any animals that have not liked it

Paul
Old 21-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse5 View Post
you could try repashy calcium plus its a all in one dusting just use it with every feed they also do a supper veggie to to dust the veg with have a look don't have any animals that have not liked it

Paul
Thanks for that. I had a quick look at the Repashy Calcium Plus stuff, it seems to be packaged up for Leopard Gecko's. Is it suitable for Bearded Dragons as well?.
Old 21-10-2013, 10:33 PM
5 Star Member

ou can use it for most all lizard's works well with bearded dragons

Tags
bearded dragon , dusting