Old 07-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Hatchling
Default astro turf and leos

what's everyone opinions on astro turf with leopard geckos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Hatchling

It is ok but i like to keep enclosures as natural as possible. Leopard geckos are from desserts of Asia and so they live on sand with not much grass. Asto turf can look nice and it serves a purpose (Can be difficult if a poo is stuck to it though, Sand you just lift the poo off and any sand that is stuck just lifts up with it) It is up to you. Like I said in my opinion I like to replicate nature for my Leos but the main thing is to keep an animal happy and healthy
Old 07-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Hatchling

iv never wanted to risk using sand tbh was on reptile carpet but got some free samples of astro dose look good like
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Hatchling

Too many people exaggerate about compaction with sand, I've used it for over 5 years and never had an issue with it. All I do is use fine sand for hatchlings and only use a corse sand on adults. As long as it looks good and the animal is happy and healthy that is the main thing
diddy68 likes this.

Last edited by TooManyBallPythonsAround; 07-11-2013 at 03:46 PM..
Old 07-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyBallPythonsAround View Post
It is ok but i like to keep enclosures as natural as possible. Leopard geckos are from desserts of Asia and so they live on sand with not much grass. Asto turf can look nice and it serves a purpose (Can be difficult if a poo is stuck to it though, Sand you just lift the poo off and any sand that is stuck just lifts up with it) It is up to you. Like I said in my opinion I like to replicate nature for my Leos but the main thing is to keep an animal happy and healthy
A leopard geckos natural habitat is more rocky and dry grasslands with compact earth and not much loose particle at all. People label them a desert species and everyone instantly links that to sand. They are known to burrow quite often and this isn't possible with sand.

The argument for and against using sand can go on for ages. The breakdown of it is, yes sand can be used if your gecko is an accurate eater and your husbandry is good. But it's not entirely natural and it does pose an impaction risk.

Astro-turf is an acceptable low risk substrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyBallPythonsAround View Post
As long as it looks good that is the main thing
I could not argue with this comment enough. The main thing in all cases is what is right for the animal.
marty5588 likes this.

If you have any concerns, doubts or worries about your animals health always consult a qualified veterinarian (with the necessary experience).

Nobody can properly diagnose an animal based on descriptions and photos. Especially when those animals, such as reptiles, have a small list of visible symptoms than can be found across a large range of problems.

Always see a vet. Don't let strangers on the internet make you do something you'll regret. They won't take responsibility.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Regular

Jesterone is right they don't live on sand.....dry compacted dirt,rocky areas and arid dry grasslands.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Hatchling

Jesterone that is a valid point about the ground being compacted, I use a thick layer of substrate to settle down into and have rocks/wood/and plants in my leo viv and a hide with coco fibre and a moss box which helps to cater for the burrowing nature.

Sand is hugely controversial with compaction, I have always used sand and luckily never had to deal with compaction. But we wont get onto that.

I have edited the last comment as the point I was meaning to make was if it looks nice and the animal is happy and healthy that's the main thing sorry for missing that part out
Jesterone and marty5588 like this.

Tags
leopard gecko astro turf