Reptile Forums banner

Bearded dragon trouble

525 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  amber83 
#1 ·
Hi my three year old male bearded dragon has small white blotches on the tip of his tongue, is this normal?

#4 ·
The tip of their tongue can look paler than the rest as I recall, however, I've never witnessed actual white spots on the tongues of the beardies I had.
Reptiles can be really good at hiding illness, so if you're concerned then get him checked out. There may be nothing wrong at all, but obviously if there is then it's better treated sooner than later.
This might be tough to do, but do you think you could get a picture of him with his tongue out, like a quick shot when he's going for food? That might be impossible, but could be helpful.
Have you paid close attention to what his tongue looks like and suddenly noticed abnormal looking spots, or could it be that it's just something you've noticed now that you've not really paid attention to before? I don't mean that in a nasty way, just sometimes we all of a sudden notice things that we hadn't before, and it could be totally normal but if we've not noticed then it may come as a surprise, if you see what I mean.

#5 ·
Thanks, I will try and get a picture but it may be quite tricky :) to be honest I have noticed that his tongue has always been slightly lighter near to the tip, but when he was basking today I had a closer look and can only describe it as slightly blotchy. He doesn't appear to be in any discomfort and is still eating heaps! I appreciate all your help, thanks

#6 ·
From what I've read, if it was mouth rot, the mouth would be inflamed and if left leads to bleeding gums, teeth falling out, not feeding etc. It's hard to judge without seeing. Obviously it may take time for all those symptoms to appear but I would have thought you'd notice something else was wrong. But I may be wrong, I've not seen it for myself before.
The tip of their tongue does look whiter than the rest so it might be just that. Would be great if you did manage to get a pic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.