Reptile Forums banner

Collared Lizards

486 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  karma 
#1 ·
peoples views on best diet for collared lizards??

#5 ·
They tend to vary in what they prefer as a staple some prefer locust some crickets and so on.

I tend to use locust as a staple for my adults and black crickets now and again but some would prefer the crickets given a choice,i also feed occasional waxworm more so at the start of the season after brumation but also feed collared greens although some wont touch the veg and some love it,even my hatchlings are the same some eagerly eat veg some dont(but theres a trick to that)put some black crickets on the veg and when they eat the crickets they often eat the veg aswell and it gets em used to it.

oops nearly forgot yeh occasionaly i feed mealworms but not that often unless i am caught short with food which doesnt happen very often.

cockroaches i never feed as i tried and have yet to see any of my collareds show any interest in them at all.

flies ect. let some waxworm hatch into moths and watch the collareds go mad over then jumping and catching them in mid air is so cool to watch.the same also aplies to blue bottles/house fly's but watch they are clean and not been near fly spray ect (you catch my drift).

If there hatchlings you have they will grow quicker once on medium crickets but in fareness a 1 month old collared will easily take on a adult cricket(not that i feed that big myself at that age).

hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.