Leo gone off his food + unusual poo (pic) - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 22-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Premier Citizen
Default Leo gone off his food + unusual poo (pic)

any help please?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by creg View Post
any help please?

Never seen anything like that before. Looks like the curry sauce from my local Chinese. How long has it been off it's food? Is this the first poo like this? I would certainly have that shipped off for inspection.
organized chaos likes this.
Old 22-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavgav04 View Post
Never seen anything like that before. Looks like the curry sauce from my local Chinese. How long has it been off it's food? Is this the first poo like this? I would certainly have that shipped off for inspection.
about 5 days, yes first one like this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Ultra Citizen

Personally if this happened to me I would get a fecal sample done and leave it be. Just try getting it to eat although I wouldn't worry too much after five days of no food. If the feces continue to look like this then I would get it checked by a vet. Hopefully someone else has had this happen and can tell you what is up.
Old 22-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavgav04 View Post
Personally if this happened to me I would get a fecal sample done and leave it be. Just try getting it to eat although I wouldn't worry too much after five days of no food. If the feces continue to look like this then I would get it checked by a vet. Hopefully someone else has had this happen and can tell you what is up.
Ok thanks for your help, reason i'm worried is he's refusing wax worms and he's never done this before. Seems a tad lethargic too.
Old 22-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by creg View Post
Ok thanks for your help, reason i'm worried is he's refusing wax worms and he's never done this before. Seems a tad lethargic too.
My guys have turned their noses up wax worms recently, which is probably just a coincidence. What has your weather been like? Some have been saying their reps have been sensing the thunder and lying low, which could explain the lethargy but I doubt it would cause it to drop stools like that. I don't think it's anything to really worry about but obviously not knowing what it is I can't be certain.
Old 22-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Super Citizen

Could be MBD, mine did this, then developed a stomach infection due to being run down and died. I didnt realise she was bad as she looked healthy, fat tail etc.
Old 23-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Forum Citizen

That looks like sand in his poo. Do you have him on a substrate of sand? This is the beginning of impaction by the sound of it and you need to remove the sand before he eats anymore.

Put him onto paper towels reptile carpet lino or newspaper this will stop him eating the substrate and see if he improves. I would also give him regular warm baths once a day for the next week or two to help relieve his digestive tract and make sure it's as easy as possible to pass the remainder of the sand.

You can also buy electrolytes if he becomes lethargic which you put into water.
Try feeding him outside the viv in a faunarium perhaps to keep the live food close to him. This might encourage him to eat until he picks up again.
Old 23-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Premier Citizen

It is sand yes but i can't see any sand in the actual poo, i also feed him mealworms with tweezers so no chance of accidentally ingesting sand. I have an update pic to post later it looks to me like he was constipated but i'm just guessing. Anyway thanks everyone for the help and suggestions so far

think i will change the sand for paper towel for now though just to be on the safe side

Last edited by creg; 23-07-2014 at 11:06 AM..
Old 23-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Ultra Citizen

definitely substrate in his poo, that's one of the disadvantages of leos having loose substrates, even if you tong feed or feed from bowls they lick the ground to smell it, like snakes flick their tongues, and they'll ingest small amounts of substrate which builds up. i'm not sure about the yellow stuff though, looks like bad urates
1.2 Coleonyx elegans
1.2 Coleonyx mitratus
0.0.6 Hemidactylus imbricatus