Why does my western collared lizard have a saggy neck? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 03-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Hatchling
Default Why does my western collared lizard have a saggy neck?

First post!
I am a first time reptile keeper and I got a western collared lizard two weeks ago and recently he/she developed a super saggy lower jaw/jowl/neck.

FACTS:
  • He/she is 4months old (don't know how to sex yet)
  • Eats like a pig (stopped at 18 crickets one morning because I was getting worried about the sheer amount he is eating)
  • But doesn't drink from a bowl and doesn't lick up droplets on his face
  • The first week he was super active but now he just sits on his basking rock ALL DAY EXCEPT when chasing crickets
  • He is getting UV, calcium and Nutrabal
  • Poos everyday
  • The sag on his jaw is worse at some times of the day
  • Sleeps well at night (18C at the coldest)
  • 40C in basking area, 30C in cool end in a 3ft viv
  • No sign of shedding but i wouldn't know
  • Feeding micro brown crickets smaller than his eye distance
  • No weight loss as far as I know, only had for 2 weeks
  • Feed 9 crickets 2 mealworms every other day, other days 11 crickets (with 2-3 more crickets throughout the day)

PHOTO:

(His jaw is slightly less saggy than other times in this photo)

Is there anything wrong with him/her?
Thanks for the help!

Last edited by dsdanielko; 03-09-2014 at 07:04 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 07:04 PM

Sorry can't help with saggy skin but wanted to say he is super cute.

Are you sure he can't manage bigger than the micro crix, most lizards that are 4 months old can usually eat around size 2 crix allthough he may not be as big as he appers in the pic. That way he would be eating as many crix to get filled up lol.
dsdanielko likes this.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:06 PM

What has happened, have I done something wrong lol. Where is the original post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Hatchling

I'm not quite sure what happened haha. Any mods that can help? OP disappeared
Thanks btw!

Last edited by dsdanielko; 03-09-2014 at 07:55 PM..
Old 03-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Hatchling

OK a jist of what was in the OP

Western collared lizard has saggy chin that developed soon after buying 2 weeks ago.
  • I'm scared hes eating too much (had to stop at 18 crickets cus I was scared). Eats 2 mealworms every other day
  • Not moving a lot at all recently
  • Healthy otherwise

In photo chin is not as saggy. Size of sag varies during the day with the most being about 2mm more than the photo

Please help!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Ultra Citizen

Stunning lizard by the way cant give any advice on this apart from a name

Deirdre Barlow...
dsdanielko likes this.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:45 AM
Super Citizen

Forget about that saggy neck thats the way they are and he/she is a eastern collared by the looks of it not a western unless its one of the crosses i have out there.

Hi,
A 1 month old collared can manage a adult cricket so micro's are way to small for it (i dont even feed newly hatched collareds micro's they go straight onto smalls)although i wouldnt feed a 1 month old adult crickets but it just shows you what they are capable of.

may i ask where you got it from (via pm if you like)as it could well be one i bred as there is alot out there bred by me.

like always its hard to judge size by a picture but i would say feed small/medium crickets fleebay is great for them and once on mediums thats when the size of the collared starts to get a good growth spurt.

I would go to your local asda/tesco ect and buy some collared greens/spring greens they are the same thing cut into really small peices and spray and give fresh daily and theres no need to spray the viv ect as that what will incresase humidity.

As for sexing i see if i can post some pics up later to show the difference but for now if you see 2 black spots around the vent area then its 100% female.
dsdanielko likes this.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozmick View Post
Stunning lizard by the way cant give any advice on this apart from a name

Deirdre Barlow...
Just noticed your comment
Old 06-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma View Post
Forget about that saggy neck thats the way they are and he/she is a eastern collared by the looks of it not a western unless its one of the crosses i have out there.

Hi,
A 1 month old collared can manage a adult cricket so micro's are way to small for it (i dont even feed newly hatched collareds micro's they go straight onto smalls)although i wouldnt feed a 1 month old adult crickets but it just shows you what they are capable of.

may i ask where you got it from (via pm if you like)as it could well be one i bred as there is alot out there bred by me.

like always its hard to judge size by a picture but i would say feed small/medium crickets fleebay is great for them and once on mediums thats when the size of the collared starts to get a good growth spurt.

I would go to your local asda/tesco ect and buy some collared greens/spring greens they are the same thing cut into really small peices and spray and give fresh daily and theres no need to spray the viv ect as that what will incresase humidity.

As for sexing i see if i can post some pics up later to show the difference but for now if you see 2 black spots around the vent area then its 100% female.
Thanks so much I was getting worried!
I got him/her from Cold Blooded in East London which was recommended by many members on this forum.
Also I tried giving it some kale and broccoli but it won't even look at them ! Is there a way to ease them into the diet? And I will move it up in food size.

Also yesterday it began shedding and I was wondering if there are any very basic tips you can give to to make its life easier.

Thanks again!
Old 06-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Hatchling

Also it gets white plugs in its nostrils every few hours. I heard it was just salt excretions but every few hours sounds a bit... extreme. Is it ok?

EDIT: the forums keep eating my replies

Thanks for the help!
My lizard refuses to even look at broccoli and kale. Is there a way to ease it into the diet?
My lizard is shedding. What can I do to help?
And I will get bigger crickets!

Thanks again

Last edited by dsdanielko; 06-09-2014 at 06:20 PM..

Tags
collared lizard , jaw problems