Why do people use sand in the wrong enclosure rant!!!!! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 29-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Why do people use sand in the wrong enclosure rant!!!!!

WARNING RANT IMMINENT!!

WHY OH WHY?! Do people use cheap play sand in and other sands in bearded dragon and leopard gecko enclosure..and even annoyingly sav monitor enclosures..

I have seen to many people lose bearded dragons and leos to impaction. people automatically assume just because an animal is from a desert/arid environment they need to be on sand..lizards like beardies would benefit so much from a more natural substrate like dry dirt something more to their natural environment. Leos on the other hand should just come with a warning that your running a high risk of putting them on sand...i personally have three friend who have lost leos to impaction. just keep them on chips or paper or even dirt...

Now savannah monitors....my god why do shop owners/workers feel the need to recommend keeping savs on sand is beyond me the clue is in the name savannah not exactly a desert and while i admit the natural environment has sand within the dirt it also has a clay and biomass content..people then arent informed that if you keep them on sand they WILL die from dehydration or kidney or liver failure or even gout and other diseases related to dehydration.

Feel free to put your thoughts at the bottom people!!
Kiwibird likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-10-2014, 06:56 PM

Have kept beardies, uros and leos on sand for years and never had any problems. My oldest leo is about 12 years old and my oldest beardie was well over 10 too most of my uros are old with the oldest being around 12 or 13 years old. My monitors are on a sand soil mix which is the recommended subsrate for them. I think that with the proper care and supplementation there should not be a problem with impaction.
Old 29-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Ultra Citizen

Many people, myself included have kept these animals on sand very successfully and without any issues for many, many years. Yes they may not live on it in the wild but they don't live on lino, kitchen towel, tiles or newspaper either. I don't want you to feel like I'm getting on my high horse, but your friends are most probably missing some vital components in their husbandry if they are losing leopard geckos to impaction.

As for recommending chips, presumably beech chips or the likes, when you are putting down sand for being the wrong substrate and posing a high potential for impaction, are you taking the bloody piss?

Gavin.
eeji, Thrasops, herper147 and 7 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1962 View Post
Have kept beardies, uros and leos on sand for years and never had any problems. My oldest leo is about 12 years old and my oldest beardie was well over 10 too most of my uros are old with the oldest being around 12 or 13 years old. My monitors are on a sand soil mix which is the recommended subsrate for them. I think that with the proper care and supplementation there should not be a problem with impaction.
I admit uros are perfectly fine on sand no probs and my monitors are on a sand soil mix as your right they should be and i did say that but i ment keeping them on pure sand. and i do know people with leos/beardies on sand with no issues. but i know of alot more instances in shops and pets that have died from impaction by being kept on sand
Old 29-10-2014, 07:40 PM

It does not surprise me that they die in shops after all not many take care of the animals correctly.
Old 29-10-2014, 08:08 PM
No Life Member
Reviews: 30

Brain overload!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Why do people use sand in the wrong enclosure rant!!!!!-image.jpg  

Old 29-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavgav04 View Post
Many people, myself included have kept these animals on sand very successfully and without any issues for many, many years. Yes they may not live on it in the wild but they don't live on lino, kitchen towel, tiles or newspaper either. I don't want you to feel like I'm getting on my high horse, but your friends are most probably missing some vital components in their husbandry if they are losing leopard geckos to impaction.

As for recommending chips, presumably beech chips or the likes, when you are putting down sand for being the wrong substrate and posing a high potential for impaction, are you taking the bloody piss?

Gavin.

Gavin i think you feel strongly about chips..but ive never heard of impaction in leos from correctly sized beech cheeps. beardies may be a different story but id imagine a beardy would be smart enough to spit a chip out if it was to take one into its mouth
Old 29-10-2014, 08:46 PM
5 Star Member

Sand isn't the problem. Bad husbandry is. It's easier for people to blame a substrate than take responsibility for mistakes though.

DEED NOT BREED! SAY NO TO BSL!

The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world, but it WILL change the world for that one animal.
Old 29-10-2014, 08:55 PM
No Life Member

impaction is caused by incorrect husbandry, not by loose substrate or sand in particular.

though in trying to replicate a natural environment, a sand and soil mix is far more accurate.
Thrasops and Kimora like this.
Old 29-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbreck View Post
Gavin i think you feel strongly about chips..but ive never heard of impaction in leos from correctly sized beech cheeps. beardies may be a different story but id imagine a beardy would be smart enough to spit a chip out if it was to take one into its mouth
Chips are a real impaction risk - due to being indigestible if accidently eaten and too large to safely pass through the gut - see this thread http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...lp-update.html

As the others have said - the main causes of impaction with a fine particular substrate (sand) are due to husbandry issues:

Temps too low so that the digestive tract is not working efficiently.

Poor supplementation - in the wild these animals would eat dirt / sand to increase their Calcium ( or other mineral) intake.

Parasites - these will cause irritation and eating sand seems to be a way for them to help relieve this.

Having said all that - I don't use sand myself - purely because I detest the sound of it in the glass runners

Eublepharis macularius 7.18
Timon lepidus 2.1
Lygodactylus williamsi 4.0
Teratoscincus roborowski 1.0
Phelsuma grandis 2.2
Bellatorias frerei 1.2
Pogona vitticeps 1.0
Closed Thread

Tags
lizards