Water dragons bubbles from nose? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 02-02-2015, 07:15 PM
Regular
Default Water dragons bubbles from nose?

My female water dragon is bubbling at the nose??? Any ideas?? I cant get a vet appointment till the end of the week....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2015, 07:45 PM

Respiratory infection? Have you got the correct temps for your water dragon?
CloudForest likes this.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:42 PM
Regular

hello debbie, my temps range from 25c to 35 at the warm end.. she is misted twice a day... ive had her for two years without this occuring. In your opinion what causes respiritory infections?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Regular

Yes Respiratory infection would be my guess. My dragon had that symptom together with cough after spending a night out of the viv in my kitchen last winter. a course of antibiotics was what my vet did + Vetark Reptoboost 3 times a week, cleared up in 3 weeks.
CloudForest likes this.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:30 PM
Premier Citizen

RI's usually come down to husbandry - your temps sound ok, so 2nd thought is ventilation, how well ventilated is the enclosure? its a difficult balance, ventilation vs humidity, but its important

I would suggest a visit to the vet, and ask them to take a culture to find out what the RI is (rather than just dosing up on antibiotics, the usual first response), given that your temps are ok, it could be a fungal infection rather than bacterial, so its important to know which it is

if it is a fungal infection, then it could be that the substrate and enclosure hasn't been ventilated enough, and has been overwhelmed with spors

what kind of substrate is it?

Bioactive is by far the best solution for humidity loving species, it helps maintain humidity levels and at the same time provides an ecosystem which can help prevent the buildup of moulds and fungal spors which cause RI's
Old 03-02-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
RI's usually come down to husbandry - your temps sound ok, so 2nd thought is ventilation, how well ventilated is the enclosure?
As above, both could be causes of RI's. But not exclusively if your conditions are correct of course. As suggested though a vet is your best option.