Leo will not eat dusted food - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 15-02-2015, 05:48 PM
Hatchling
Default Leo will not eat dusted food

I bought a little leo last weekend, he started eating mealworms pretty much straight away, trouble is any that are dusted with the calcium d3 supplement he tends to give them a lick and turns his nose up, so tried him on crickets for the first time yesterday, he had 1 that wasn't dusted, 2nd one was dusted, he caught it but let it go then wasnt interested in anymore that were dusted, happily ate 2 more that were not!

I know its early days but id like to know if its something to worry about, anyone else had this problem? How long can they go with d3 until problems occur?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-02-2015, 06:26 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoogieWoogford View Post
I bought a little leo last weekend, he started eating mealworms pretty much straight away, trouble is any that are dusted with the calcium d3 supplement he tends to give them a lick and turns his nose up, so tried him on crickets for the first time yesterday, he had 1 that wasn't dusted, 2nd one was dusted, he caught it but let it go then wasnt interested in anymore that were dusted, happily ate 2 more that were not!

I know its early days but id like to know if its something to worry about, anyone else had this problem? How long can they go with d3 until problems occur?

Thanks
probably overdoing the dust, doesn't need much at all

when i dusted roaces and mealworms, i'd just put a bit over one single insect, and then leave them to roam about in a dish, eventually there was a very light dusting on all of them

yes its definitely something to worry about, without D3, they will get very very ill (although it wont happen over night, weeks to months and problems will gradually occur), but i recon ur just over doing it

better bet tho, if your leo isn't Albino, is UVB lighting rather than D3 supplements
WoogieWoogford likes this.
Old 17-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Regular

i have one similar leo. He lets go of the cricket once he tastes the powder. what i do is let him lick the powder separately in a small dish twice a week. works and even keeps my tank dust-free lol

" With great power comes great electricity bill.. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-02-2015, 10:36 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to Serious D

I had the same problem when I use to keep Leo's, but like Tongue Flicker, I kept a small shallow dish of calci powder in the viv with them at all times, that way they would just have a lick when ever they needed.
Old 18-02-2015, 01:21 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious D View Post
I had the same problem when I use to keep Leo's, but like Tongue Flicker, I kept a small shallow dish of calci powder in the viv with them at all times, that way they would just have a lick when ever they needed.
this should always be provided, D3 dusting is additional, both are essential...providing simply Calcium (without D3 =mdb), or Calcium D3 (overdose and MDB like symptoms) is equally dangerous...or perhaps you didn't explain what you do quite right?