Escaped water dragon! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 02-04-2015, 02:12 AM
Hatchling
Default Escaped water dragon!

So one of my water dragons have managed to escape from there viv. The water dragon is a year and 4 weeks old but is small for her age. Any how she has got out her enclosure i expect my little cousin has open there viv
and not noticed her sneak out, or one of parents have opened there cage and not closed it as they have a habit or doing this the idiots. I have had my Bosc escape on before due to cage being left open and managed to find him. Im just wondering where a water dragon is likely to hide, her viv was down stairs can she climbs stairs? It being rainy lately would she have gone out side with the weather being like it is? Just really want to find her as my dad is devastated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. we know she has been out a day max and how long do you think she has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Super Citizen

The first place I would check would be behind the fridge - Heat from the motor n all - But be VERY careful incase it is underneath - Don't go pulling it out without checking under first.

Think then it is just a case of looking under / in EVERYTHING starting with the room the viv is in, being VERY careful if you are moving furniture out to check behind it.

Good luck - And keep all your windows SHUT.
scottishbluebird likes this.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Super Regular
Wink

When you catch him, I reckon it would be an idea to buy locks for all your vivs and keep the keys on you. People can be dumb with animals, and for some reason (and I am not saying all) parents with young children tend to be the dumbest of all. I worked at a wildlife park one summer and the amount of times I had to tell off some dumb parent for dangling their lil'darlin over the safety barrier of the animal enclosures.
I say this not only because of the animal getting out but in case the kid gets bitten, as I had a family member try and blame my ferret for biting her brat when the said brat kept sticking her fingers in between the bars.
(I am not calling any of your young family members brats BTW.)
BACK ON TOPIC; I find putting out a lamp to act as a hot spot in a bright, high up area works. They are drawn to it when they want to sun themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Premier Citizen

Usually when people ask where to look I say somewhere warm and dark and probably not too far away... However ... Water dragons do like to climb too so depending on how "tame" she is it maybe worth keeping an eye out up high too.
Sorry thats not much help really, but she will be looking for warmth. You asked how long she has ? She isnt in immediate danger from being unheated but obviously you will want to find her asap. Be systematic and check everywhere. Be aware of moving furniture or sittting on things that she could be underneath (or inside of depending on her size and what your sofa etc... is like)

She will most likely turn up safe and sound. Let us know when you find her.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:39 AM
Hatchling

ok i came down today and she was .... in her cage the whole time :/ i don't even know how she hid that well we moved everything and had are hands in the cage searching and could not find her at all. She is the master of hiding it seems as there was 4 of us looking for her when we couldn't find her. Her cage does has a lot of green in it which means she can hide but with are hands in the cage you think she would of moved if we got near her but it seems not.
Fizz likes this.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:36 AM
Super Citizen

Great to hear she is safe and sound (and in a vivarium with plenty of secure hiding places by the sound of things)
Fizz likes this.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Premier Citizen

Glad she is ok. Sounds like a nice viv
Old 03-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Premier Citizen

Thats brilliant, she was just practising her chameleon skills

Tags
escape , water dragon