New to lizards - wonder geckos - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 11-04-2016, 08:50 AM
Super Citizen
Default New to lizards - wonder geckos

Hi all! Long time to no forum

I'm back because I recently acquired my first ever lizards, a pair of wonder geckos (a.k.a. frog-eyed geckos, Teratoscincus sp.)! I am feeling mostly confident about looking after them, but just had a couple questions I'd like to ask to be 100% sure I'm doing things right.

First: The female has a teensy bit of stuck shed on one of her feet, around her toes. I was advised to pop her in a tub with a tiny bit of water to soak the foot and then gently rub the skin off with a cotton bud; does this sound about right? I haven't done anything yet as I only got her yesterday and was letting her settle in over night.

Second: Dumb question; what is the best food to gut-load crickets with? I have seen lettuce and potato be suggested. Are these both fine or is one better than the other, etc. Previously I have always fed the crickets I get in for my tarantula on rocket, could I continue doing this for the gecko food?

Third: Even dumber question; what is the best way to get the vitamin dusting stuff onto the crickets (without getting it everywhere)? Just pop crickets + powder in a bag and shake (poor crickets)? I have a friend who used to keep leopard geckos, who said they would just lick the powder up if you put it in a bowl. Is this true? Do they get enough this way? Does it apply to wonder geckos?

Fourth: Every care sheet I've read said to give them only insects, except for one, which said to give them fruit puree? Is that really necessary? Seems a bit weird that only one care sheet would mention it.

Finally: I am not 100% sure what the proper Latin name is! I know it is Teratoscincus species, but beyond that, I'm stumped! I will get pictures next time one of them is out and about, but in the meantime, I wonder if anyone could tell me what the most common species in the hobby is?

Thanks all!

'Cynothoglys' ('Lisa') - CB?? female wonder gecko
'Bukrog' - CB?? male wonder gecko

'Leng' CB unsexed Chilean rose tarantula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2016, 09:52 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coal View Post
Hi all! Long time to no forum

I'm back because I recently acquired my first ever lizards, a pair of wonder geckos (a.k.a. frog-eyed geckos, Teratoscincus sp.)! I am feeling mostly confident about looking after them, but just had a couple questions I'd like to ask to be 100% sure I'm doing things right.

First: The female has a teensy bit of stuck shed on one of her feet, around her toes. I was advised to pop her in a tub with a tiny bit of water to soak the foot and then gently rub the skin off with a cotton bud; does this sound about right? I haven't done anything yet as I only got her yesterday and was letting her settle in over night.

Second: Dumb question; what is the best food to gut-load crickets with? I have seen lettuce and potato be suggested. Are these both fine or is one better than the other, etc. Previously I have always fed the crickets I get in for my tarantula on rocket, could I continue doing this for the gecko food?

Third: Even dumber question; what is the best way to get the vitamin dusting stuff onto the crickets (without getting it everywhere)? Just pop crickets + powder in a bag and shake (poor crickets)? I have a friend who used to keep leopard geckos, who said they would just lick the powder up if you put it in a bowl. Is this true? Do they get enough this way? Does it apply to wonder geckos?

Fourth: Every care sheet I've read said to give them only insects, except for one, which said to give them fruit puree? Is that really necessary? Seems a bit weird that only one care sheet would mention it.

Finally: I am not 100% sure what the proper Latin name is! I know it is Teratoscincus species, but beyond that, I'm stumped! I will get pictures next time one of them is out and about, but in the meantime, I wonder if anyone could tell me what the most common species in the hobby is?

Thanks all!
Be careful getting the stuck shed off- wonder geckos have very delicate skin that can tear if you handle them.

Putting crix in a bag of Nutrobal or other powder & shaking it is the best way to dust them- geckos or other lizards won't always eat the powder out of a bowl.

Some geckos will eat fruit puree, the best are the Rapashy mixes- you'll only know if yours will eat it by trying.

Most kinds of fruit & veg are fine for gut loading.

Post a pic & we'll be able to identify the species of wonder gecko you have.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Gold Star Member

Their skin comes off really easy but does grow back quite quickly too. I'm unable to handle mine as they are very skittish. They tolerate my hands in the viv so that's the most important thing.

have you got a container of spanghum moss they can go into? A humid hide will help with shedding.
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2016, 10:37 AM
Super Citizen

Hi all, thanks for the advice

I don't plan on handling much, just once or twice a week so they're accustomed to it and don't get too ridiculously stressed if I need to handle them to remove stuck shed or for another reason. I have heard that they have very delicate skin so I will of course be very gentle. The female seems quite placid; a little nervous but not too bad. The male is very, very skittish and trembles all over if disturbed, so I'll definitely not overdo it on the handling.

They do have moist hides with damp sphagnum moss, but they don't seem interested yet. It's there if they want it anyway. Have just checked on them and pleased to see that it looks like they have been exploring; there were lots of little footprints and some droppings, so they haven't just been cowering in their hides all night at least I'll give them some crickets this evening so they can hunt in the night.

I plan on bathing the female later (or rather, putting her in a cricket tub with a little bit of water in the bottom), so will snap a few pics. Don't really want to disturb the male unnecessarily so pics will have to wait until he's out and about, but hopefully pics of just the female will be enough to identify the species.

Thanks again for the help guys

Old 11-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Gold Star Member

I've got a pair of Scincus, those and Robwoskis seemed the most common at Hamm. I've mostly seen those two species for sale here too.

apologies for the spelling but I think you know what I mean!
Old 11-04-2016, 11:05 PM
Super Citizen

Hi again all,

Well I gave her a bath earlier; sat her in a bit of lukewarm water for half an hour, but I don't think she liked it much at all, since she stood on her tiptoes to be as far away from the water as she could even though it would barely have reached her belly if she was standing normally. Anyway, that alone seemed enough to get off almost all of the shed. Now there is just a bit left on the end of one toe! I tried to rub it off with a cotton bud but it wouldn't budge, and the poor dear was not enjoying it at all; I was bitten, pooped on and everything else :P I'm hoping it will rub off on the substrate while she's assumedly out and about hunting tonight, but otherwise I'll have to give it another go tomorrow. I think I'll wait for my fiancé to come back from work so I can hold her still and he can operate the cotton bud. If it continues to be stubborn, what's the next step in getting it off?

Anyway, considering her stress, I wasn't able to get any pics of her. She was out and about a bit earlier (the male is a bit more reclusive), but by the time I grabbed my phone, she was hiding again. That having been said, having done some more research, I'm 90% sure they're T. scincus; the female looks almost exactly like this, while the male is darker in colouration, more like this. As soon as I can I'll get pics to confirm.

Anyways, I've popped some crickets in with them now, just two each for tonight and if they eat them I'll give them larger portions tomorrow. To be entirely honest I'm not completely sure how much per day they should be eating, so my plan was just to give them however much they seem to take in an average night. Any advice would be good.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:27 AM
Super Regular

Hiya, I have a male T. scincus scincus. They are insect eaters, I've never heard fruit puree being recommended before. Gut loading wise, make sure you you use a good range of fruit and veg so the animals get all different vitamins. Tbh I would not recommend handling at all. They are VERY delicate! Although, as supertips said they do tend to repair themselves quite quickly. I would make sure you have moist area of the viv and that should help with shedding. I wouldn't bath her any more, you don't want to stress her any more.

I tend to feed as much as mine will eat, he's pretty good at stopping when he's had enough.
Coal likes this.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachyBoy View Post
Hiya, I have a male T. scincus scincus. They are insect eaters, I've never heard fruit puree being recommended before. Gut loading wise, make sure you you use a good range of fruit and veg so the animals get all different vitamins. Tbh I would not recommend handling at all. They are VERY delicate! Although, as supertips said they do tend to repair themselves quite quickly. I would make sure you have moist area of the viv and that should help with shedding. I wouldn't bath her any more, you don't want to stress her any more.

I tend to feed as much as mine will eat, he's pretty good at stopping when he's had enough.
Thanks for this! There is only a tiny bit left on one toe (actually not sure if it's still there; she'd obviously been up and about last night as there were fresh footprints and what have you in the substrate, so it might have rubbed off, and I didn't want to disturb her from her hide), so maybe you're right, it's not worth the stress of bathing her again. Tbh because I'm new to lizards I'm not sure how serious a bit of stuck shed is.

Another concern is that neither have eaten since I got them Sunday. The wretched crickets all worked their way to the back of the moss in the moist hides and couldn't be gotten at I'll have to try and rejigger things so they can't do that again, but not really sure how :/ Anyway, the main question is, how long can they safely go without food? As in, at what point should I start worrying? I'm used to snakes who can go months without food without losing condition, but I assume the same is not true of tiny geckos!

Also, do you ever give yours mealworms? I'm thinking of offering a few small ones maybe once a week?

Old 12-04-2016, 12:00 PM
Super Regular

They haven't eaten because of all the stress. Provided they are healthy they should start eating over the next couple of weeks. They are very efficient eaters, hence one of there other names, bulldog gecko! I don't have any moss in my viv, I just spray straight on the sand but I guess that's down to personal preference Also, try and use a variety of livefoods so you get a whole range of nutrients.
Coal likes this.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachyBoy View Post

Fruits more of a day gecko thing isn't it.