New Leo Setup - Heatmat query - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 08-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Super Regular
Default New Leo Setup - Heatmat query

Hello guys,

I've just constructed a new 2.8ft Vivarium for Opal to move into . I bought myself a new heatmat & thermostat to go with it - However, my new heatmat covers half of the vivarium now. My question is, would this be too big? Or should I use my smaller 11x11 7w heatmat so I'm guaranteed a temperature gradient?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Super Regular

There is no reason it should not cover half the surface area as-long as the other half cools to a suitable level.

Old advice was always to have 1/3 surface area heated, it is my feeling that this is not sufficient and since providing a larger warm area my Geckos are noticeably more active, its worth noting however that I no longer use heat mats and instead heat slate rock via basking lamps combined with a CHE for ambient temps at night.
efcseany likes this.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:38 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zux View Post
There is no reason it should not cover half the surface area as-long as the other half cools to a suitable level.

Old advice was always to have 1/3 surface area heated, it is my feeling that this is not sufficient and since providing a larger warm area my Geckos are noticeably more active, its worth noting however that I no longer use heat mats and instead heat slate rock via basking lamps combined with a CHE for ambient temps at night.
The cooler half/end will sit at room temperature (about 22c here) comfortably. That way, the warmer area/end will be 32c and that allows for half the vivarium to have a 10c gradient. This would be efficient, right? If that's the case, I'll start warming up the bigger mat now so I can move her in this evening.

It'll be the first time moving into a bigger vivarium so apologies for the beginner questions - She's been growing well for 4 years now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016, 06:40 PM
Super Regular

That will be perfect, yes, though I would bump the warm end to perhaps 33C or so.

No problem about the questions, the only silly one is the one not asked.

If there is anything else you need help with, let me know.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Super Regular

Why 33c, exactly?

I always thought that 32c was sufficient for a hot end.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:53 PM
Regular

Zux, are your tanks heated up at night?
Old 08-10-2016, 07:22 PM
Super Regular

I've just powered up the heatmat and set the thermostat to 33c. But my heatmat is 37c according to my temp gun, is this normal?

Won't this burn her?

Yes the heatmat is covered over.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by megophrys View Post
Zux, are your tanks heated up at night?
The CHE's kick in if room temp drops too low, I feel temp drops at night are very important for pretty much all species that would experience such in the wild and so the ambient temps are lower at night than they are during the day, with the residual surface temps of the slate fading naturally as the night progresses.

Last edited by Zux; 08-10-2016 at 08:23 PM..
Old 08-10-2016, 07:45 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by efcseany View Post
I've just powered up the heatmat and set the thermostat to 33c. But my heatmat is 37c according to my temp gun, is this normal?

Won't this burn her?

Yes the heatmat is covered over.
Your Temp-gun is what you can trust, so adjust accordingly and ignore the readings of digital probes or thermostats, those are only accurate for ambient temperatures (generally speaking) due to the nature of how probes work, the dials on a thermostat are often inaccurate when it comes to surface temps for that reason.

As for why 33C surface temp, I have found the Geckos seem to favor areas with a surface temp of between 33-33.5 over any other, mine have large enclosures with the choice of many different temps. Anything lower than 33C and they tend to spend half their time hugging the floor, presumably trying to raise/maintain core body temp.

PS: 37C wont burn your Gecko, no. But they dont usually experience temperatures at that level during their active hours in the wild and tend to avoid them where they can in my experience.
efcseany likes this.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zux View Post
Your Temp-gun is what you can trust, so adjust accordingly and ignore the readings of digital probes or thermostats, those are only accurate for ambient temperatures (generally speaking) due to the nature of how probes work, the dials on a thermostat are often inaccurate when it comes to surface temps for that reason.

As for why 33C surface temp, I have found the Geckos seem to favor areas with a surface temp of between 33-33.5 over any other, mine have large enclosures with the choice of many different temps. Anything lower than 33C and they tend to spend half their time hugging the floor, presumably trying to raise/maintain core body temp.

PS: 37C wont burn your Gecko, no. But they dont usually experience temperatures at that level during their active hours in the wild and tend to avoid them where they can in my experience.
Really informative, thank you.

The vivarium she's currently in is set up without any issues. I've just taken a reading of the heatmat, the area above it; the cool end : 37c, 32.6c and 24.4c respectively.

How does this temperature sound?

I don't want to get them incorrect if I'm going to be moving her from an already settled home.