sick baby beardie - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 17-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Default sick baby beardie

can anyone give me any advice on nursing a sick baby beardie to health?! he is one of 11 at 2.5 weeks old and we noticed last night he was hardly moving when his crix were put in there. we took him out and put him in a pot with some crix and he ate a few (about 6) when we put him back in we put some water on the rock in front of him to make sure he was drinking, but he is pretty motionless most of the time and the other beardies are walking all over him. the others are growing and eating brilliantly but he is smaller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-04-2008, 07:52 AM
5 Star Member

Sounds like you need to separate him TBH - as the smallest one he may be getting bullied by the others and they being bigger and healthier are grabbing all the food before he can.
Old 17-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razaiel View Post
Sounds like you need to separate him TBH - as the smallest one he may be getting bullied by the others and they being bigger and healthier are grabbing all the food before he can.

I totally agree. Ideally you should house similar sizes together and review it every 2weeks, and have them in groups on bigger then 5. Hope the little dude pulls through.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-04-2008, 08:53 AM

cheers mate, i totally agree with you that i need to separate the little one but what if i haven't got another set up to put him in?! i know, your gonna say get one!!
Old 17-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by westward beardies View Post
cheers mate, i totally agree with you that i need to separate the little one but what if i haven't got another set up to put him in?! i know, your gonna say get one!!
Sorry but yes.

Is he from a clutch that you have reared? Tbh if he is you should have had several tubes ready a few days after "mummy" layed.

What you can do it get some 18inch deep 24inch long 12inch wide tubs. A 36-48inch UV tube to go over the top of them all then install a basking bulb in each.Line with kitchen roll. A basking rock/branch a hind and you done

That kinda what I will be doing once I started breeding BD's, which will not be untill I'm sure that I know the basics inside out and the no so basic stuff pretty well. I do understand that hands on experience is much better then "theory" If you have enough knowledge to begin with.

Hope I was some help

Kris

Old 17-04-2008, 09:15 AM

thing is, you think you know everything there is to know until your hit with a new problem and you dont know how to deal with it!!
We have been really lucky so far as after 4 weeks of putting our male in with our female she laid 23 eggs and everything has gone smoothly til now!
Old 17-04-2008, 10:12 AM
5 Star Member

I will say yes too. It's best for the little one to be separated or he won't stand a chance.

I do feel for you though, I currently have a similar problem with my 3 rankins, I've already removed the boy as he was constantly harassing one of the females who is now gravid - but now I'm not sure she isn't getting stressed by the other female still in with her - fortunately I have another spare viv upstairs - just need a new CHE in it and swap a snake around
Old 17-04-2008, 10:58 AM

hi.
as mentioned above...get a plastic tub from wherever, 2x1 or something, or larger.
assuming its high enough to have no risk of escape, just attach a light fitting and basking bulb to a plank of wood that can then be put over [theremore must be a bit longer than the tub is deep] one end of the tubs opening.
with a bask under the bulb,
as long as half of the top is clear warm air will escape and atleast a 3rd of the tub will remain at room temp.

a single 4 foot uv tube can be draped over the top of a few tubs if lined up next to each other.
Old 17-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Premier Member
Reviews: 29
Send a message via MSN to HadesDragons

I think just about everything has been said that needs to be - it needs housing on its own. Unfortunately not a lot of people think of every possible outcome before breeding, and things like this happen far too often. The sooner he is living on his own, the more likely he is to turn around and get back to health.

A small, temporary setup can be made for about £10 plus the cost of the UV; I'm sure you can find that from somewhere to get him a new cage this evening.
Old 17-04-2008, 02:29 PM

we have a spare 2ft glass viv with meche sliding top, how would you recommend getting a quick temporary set up for the little sick one? you say it can cost only £10 plus uv?