Help! BF seperated Beardies Will They Mate Again? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 29-08-2017, 10:13 PM
Egg
Default Help! BF seperated Beardies Will They Mate Again?

Hi guys, new to the forum not sure where to post this.
Please inform me if I should move the post.

I recently purchased a breeding pair of bearded dragons both mature enough and perfectly healthy and active.

My boyfriends separated them very early into a proper mating session ( full neck biting full signs), as he believed the male was seriously hurting the female.
This was yesterday evening. Before the attempted mating the female showed signs of interest in the male and so the act ensued.

The male has shown signs of interest in her since and has followed her around, head bobbed, cuddled and licked at her constantly but the female seems completely disinterested now and they have not attempted a mating since.

Do you think my chances with them attempting to mate soon are destroyed or are there any tips or suggestions anyone could give me to settle them in again or make her more comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-08-2017, 10:53 PM

Have you seen how much it costs to rear a clutch of young bearded dragons, and how difficult it can be to house them prior to finding homes for them?
Tortoise Man, Zux and PurpleRex like this.
Old 29-08-2017, 11:51 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyDrogonNoir View Post
Hi guys, new to the forum not sure where to post this.
Please inform me if I should move the post.

I recently purchased a breeding pair of bearded dragons both mature enough and perfectly healthy and active.

My boyfriends separated them very early into a proper mating session ( full neck biting full signs), as he believed the male was seriously hurting the female.
This was yesterday evening. Before the attempted mating the female showed signs of interest in the male and so the act ensued.

The male has shown signs of interest in her since and has followed her around, head bobbed, cuddled and licked at her constantly but the female seems completely disinterested now and they have not attempted a mating since.

Do you think my chances with them attempting to mate soon are destroyed or are there any tips or suggestions anyone could give me to settle them in again or make her more comfortable.

I pray this is a troll, but i am seriously concerned that it is not.

Im sorry, but you need to hear a few truths.

You want tips for making her more comfortable?
Separate them, permanently.

I strongly suspect that you want them to breed and produce offspring for your own amusement and pleasure. I dont think youve even considered the actual issues it will bring with it.

I dont think you have the first clue about what it is you are doing, or what the outcome will be.

I dont think you understand the amount of stress that the mating process causes, or the huge drain the following 6 months of multiple clutches will take.

I dont think you have the first understanding of how incredibly expensive it is to set up the multiple vivs you will need to house the hatchlings, or how to care for them.

I dont think you realize how many hatchlings a single mating will produce.

I dont think you have any appreciation for how difficult it will be to find homes for each of those hatchlings.

I dont think you understand or appreciate just how much of a awful, awful idea it is to try breeding the species, or even just how heavily overbred they already are, how many are left to rot in vivs too small in petstores, crammed in with others.

Reptile rescue centres are practically overflowing with them, there are countless beardies left in 3ft long vivs in petstores without proper environments or care. There are hatchlings literally thrown out into the cold to die because they arent high end morphs, so they have practically NO chance of being purchased.

What you are attempting to do is possibly the WORST thing you could do with the animals.
And anyone who sells them as "breeding pairs" is NOT a well educated or experienced keeper/breeder.
These animals are highly unsuitable to be kept in pairs, they are solitary animals, hence the high offspring numbers and ridiculously easy they are to breed, they will take any chance, and need to have as many young as possible to increase the chances of survival in the wild.
Tortoise Man and PurpleRex like this.

Last edited by Azastral; 29-08-2017 at 11:56 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-08-2017, 12:03 AM
Forum Citizen

Answering your question, given enough time apart you should be able to restart the breeding behaviours. By that I mean seperate via a visual barrier. And just waiting until both animals seem interested. You will need to give the female time to rest before hand, but also make sure she is eating enough to support both her and the eggs. Of course supplementing extra calcium or else it can cause signifcant harm to the female.

However I am going to agree with Stephen on this matter and strongly urge you to ensure you know everything going into this. I think to get started ask yourself these questions:

1) Do you have all the correct equipment for the incubation on the eggs - obviously you can make DIY ones that work. How are you going to maintain humidity and temperature in them.

2) When the eggs have hatched do you have enough enclosures to house them until they grow older? Note when they get older as a solitary species they will need to be seperated. If you are going to house them all together when first hatched how are you going to stop one being more dominant over food and basking spots.

3) Do you already have people lined up to buy the babies? If so what age are you going to sell them? How are you going to make sure they get the right care when they leave your hands?

4) What if they don't sell? Do you have space to house the two adults seperately to prevent more breeding? Do you have space to house any unwanted young that will grow up?

Lastly I want to say on a more personal note there are plenty of bearded dragons in the world that need loving homes to look after them. As a potential breeder do you want to add to the growing number?

Note as writing this Azastral posted their comment but ah well.

Cheers,
TM

Tags
bearded dragon , breeding , help & advice , lizard