New Mom to Red Eyed Croc Skink! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 20-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Egg
Default New Mom to Red Eyed Croc Skink!

Good afternoon, everyone! I am new here to the forums, as well as reptiles! After being in the fish hobby for a while, I've been itching for a new hobby! Reptiles!

I recently went to Repticon this weekend, in search for one thing! Red eyed crocodile skink. Luckily, I got the last red eyed skink in the building! (Man... these things are HARD to find, unless theres a show/convention going on).

Anyways, I've got him set up in a good home, temp stays 70-80, & humidity stays at 80% most of the time, & sometimes drops down to 60%, which I'm trying to find out a way to get that humidity up to 100%

However, I notice he barely moves ALL day, I've only had him for about a week, so I'm not sure if he's still adjusting, or if he's just lazy! I know red eyed crocs aren't known to do much at all, I just want to make sure my skink is healthy!

One more thing, I also know that these skinks don't like to be handled much as they get stressed out. He does freeze up when I pick him up, but eventually he falls asleep (??) in my hand (has happened more than once), which almost makes me think he's comfortable w/ me & doesn't mind to be held?! Or maybe it's something he does when he stressed out? I'm not sure, so if anyone has any insight on these perfect little creatures, please feel free to reply! Also, I've attached sleeping pictures (as well as other pictures, because he's just too cute!) does anyone know why his eyelid has that grey looking spot over it?
Thank you for time!
Attached Thumbnails
New Mom to Red Eyed Croc Skink!-img_3072_1508520043381.jpg  

New Mom to Red Eyed Croc Skink!-img_3101_1508520112965.jpg  

New Mom to Red Eyed Croc Skink!-img_3093_1508520122778.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-10-2017, 07:48 PM

I don't know anything about this species but can offer general help with a new lizard. One week is not too much of a worry with him not moving much some animals take longer to adjust than others especially if they are known to be a shy species. Falling 'asleep' does not necessarily mean he is comfortable as they often kind of close there eyes in the hopes that you will 'go away' lol but in time he may get to trust you. The little grey/white spot above the eye could be a scar where he has had a damaged scale or two and is probably nothing to worry about. I can't help with any husbandry concerns but I am sure someone will be along soon who can.
Old 21-10-2017, 04:58 AM
5 Star Member

He doesn't require 100% humidity, not for prolonged periods anyway. The cycle you currently have between 60-80% is fine. Personally I would also provide a small heat source if you haven't already, 80f is quite low as a constant temperature as these guys will use a wider temperature range.

Knowing crocodile skinks, he's more likely to be stressed than comfortable with you. I'd be leaving him alone and only handling for health checks.

They do tend to have paler eyelids but it could easily be some scarring (can't really see from the pictures)

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-10-2017, 12:50 PM
Premier Citizen

Can't give you any advice but hi and welcome
Snowydinosaur likes this.

https://bejewelledgecko.com

Old 21-10-2017, 06:44 PM
Regular

Welcome and a big congrats on the new family member, he's gorgeous! I don't know much about these guys except they don't really do much. I know that's not helpful sorry, just read up on as much as you can over and over again.