Do lizards do anything purely for pleasure? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 10-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN
Default Do lizards do anything purely for pleasure?

Seeing my dog frolicking in the snow - for the sheer hell of it - made me wonder - do lizards do anything purely for pleasure?

We humans can enjoy music, dance, art for no good evolutionary reason.

I can get that reptiles may "enjoy" basking, mating, feeding etc. but these have sound biological purposes. Do they feel pleasure or joy in senseless things?

Eublepharis macularius 7.18
Timon lepidus 2.1
Lygodactylus williamsi 4.0
Teratoscincus roborowski 1.0
Phelsuma grandis 2.2
Bellatorias frerei 1.2
Pogona vitticeps 1.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2017, 07:10 PM
Super Citizen

Monitors and some other large lizards may hetbsome human bonds or association with a keeper
Old 10-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosthedaddy2 View Post
Monitors and some other large lizards may hetbsome human bonds or association with a keeper
I'm sure they do and this may possibly have something to do with larger brain size. But, playing devils advocate, could they possibly just associate a keeper with their food supply

Timon lepidus 2.1
Phelsuma grandis 2.2
Bellatorias frerei 1.2
Pogona vitticeps 1.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2017, 11:08 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jools View Post
I'm sure they do and this may possibly have something to do with larger brain size. But, playing devils advocate, could they possibly just associate a keeper with their food supply
Personaly I think this is probably the case, at least most of the time, however I have seen footage a while ago (cant remember where now unfortunetly) of a keeper entering a large enclosure with a group of Tegus, which imedietly left their basking spots, walked directly past the food he was offering, and climbed up to sit on his lap and shoulders. I have always been of the opinion that the relationship between a pet reptile and it's keeper is very much one sided, other than a certian amount of food association and a lack of fear, especialy with most reptiles not being sociable animals, even with their own kind, let alone a completly different species, and still belive that in most circumstances this is true, but this footage with the Tegus is difficult to explain otherwise.
On another note, I have also seen footage of a lizard (pretty sure it was a skink, maybe a Schneider's but again, it was quite a while ago) running in a hamster wheel. The lizard was perfectly able to get in and out on it's own accord, and as far as I can remember did so during the footage, but chose to run in the wheel for no apparent purpose other than seemingly because it was enjoying itself. I have never known a keeper to add a hamster wheel or any similar sort of toy to a vivarium, so maybe we just don't get to observe what might be more common behaviour than we realise.
jools likes this.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:31 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvid2e1 View Post
Personaly I think this is probably the case, at least most of the time, however I have seen footage a while ago (cant remember where now unfortunetly) of a keeper entering a large enclosure with a group of Tegus, which imedietly left their basking spots, walked directly past the food he was offering, and climbed up to sit on his lap and shoulders. I have always been of the opinion that the relationship between a pet reptile and it's keeper is very much one sided, other than a certian amount of food association and a lack of fear, especialy with most reptiles not being sociable animals, even with their own kind, let alone a completly different species, and still belive that in most circumstances this is true, but this footage with the Tegus is difficult to explain otherwise.
On another note, I have also seen footage of a lizard (pretty sure it was a skink, maybe a Schneider's but again, it was quite a while ago) running in a hamster wheel. The lizard was perfectly able to get in and out on it's own accord, and as far as I can remember did so during the footage, but chose to run in the wheel for no apparent purpose other than seemingly because it was enjoying itself. I have never known a keeper to add a hamster wheel or any similar sort of toy to a vivarium, so maybe we just don't get to observe what might be more common behaviour than we realise.
Maybe more of us should try such experiments as adding hamster wheels to vivs to see what happens.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:29 AM
Ultra Citizen

Had a quick look and turns out there are a few videos of it about. Mostly Schneider's Skinks for some reason, though also a couple of Leopard Geckos. The lizard clearly isnt stuck and there is no apparent purpose for it to do this, other that just for the fun of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w0J3AWaHbg
elishacoombes9 likes this.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:51 AM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

These are really interesting responses.

Timon lepidus 2.1
Phelsuma grandis 2.2
Bellatorias frerei 1.2
Pogona vitticeps 1.0
Old 11-12-2017, 01:04 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jools View Post
These are really interesting responses.
Reminds me of otters, which make mud slides on river banks & take turns to slide down them purely for amusement.
wagg likes this.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:27 AM
Oh God - not her AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
Reminds me of otters, which make mud slides on river banks & take turns to slide down them purely for amusement.
Yes, that is exactly how my dog has been. He is only young and never seen proper snow before - he just can't contain himself - it is so obvious he loves it ( I on the other hand HATE it - we have about 15 inches and are snowed in )

This is exactly the types of behaviour I'm wondering if lizards ever indulge in.

Timon lepidus 2.1
Phelsuma grandis 2.2
Bellatorias frerei 1.2
Pogona vitticeps 1.0

Last edited by jools; 11-12-2017 at 01:32 AM..
Old 22-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Premier Citizen

The skink in the video looks to me like it is trying to get to something. The way its tongue is flicking implies that maybe someone is holding a food offering outside the tank. Just a thought

I have seen that video of the tegus and it was hard to think of any reason for the behaviour than that they seemed pleased to see him. Maybe this is to do with the larger brain and intelligence of tegus/ monitors ?

interesting discussion