Underated species - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 26-01-2018, 09:07 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Underated species

Let me and the rest of the rfuk community know what you think is a Great yet underated species either for beginners or the more experienced keeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-01-2018, 10:01 AM
Super Regular

Coleonyx(banded geckos)! I have one C.variegatus variegatus and would love more. Just been watching him this morning, fascinating.
Old 27-01-2018, 11:01 AM
5 Star Member

Anything that isn't recommended for handling, I think it's a shame some people just have to touch the animal to appreciate them.

Personally though, Tropiocolotes. I love mine, they're tiny, best kept in groups, can have multiple males per group and are so fun to watch.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbreck View Post
Let me and the rest of the rfuk community know what you think is a Great yet underated species either for beginners or the more experienced keeper
Large or small? Desert or rainforest? There are many, many underrated species, but it depends on what your specific criteria are.
Fizz likes this.
Old 27-01-2018, 02:51 PM
Premier Citizen

I've only had my green anoles for about 24 hours but already I have seen how active and fascinating they are.

I agree about the less handleable lizards being overlooked.

I have a berber skunk who has such a lovely temperament although she is active in bursts and buries herself inbetween so not great for display purposes. So there are pros and cons there

My ackie is the gem of the collection. He is incredibly active and interesting to watch. And when in the mood he is happy to come out for a short while. Eats like a horse and watches everything that happens in the front room like a hawk.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Old 27-01-2018, 05:44 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbreck View Post
Large or small? Desert or rainforest? There are many, many underrated species, but it depends on what your specific criteria are.
This was meant to be more of an umbrella question, yes there is hundreds of species you could keep, large small and from every biome but really when people get into reptile keeping and Tbh you see it a hell of alot on YouTube and Instagram of people getting the standards of the hobby Leo's, beardies ,corns, boas, royals etc not that there is anything wrong with those species whatsoever.. and I think it has alot to do with handleability and ease of breeding, colour variety..but there are some gems that alot of people just don't seem to keep and members of a genus that seem to be ignored or passed by
Old 27-01-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
My ackie is the gem of the collection. He is incredibly active and interesting to watch. And when in the mood he is happy to come out for a short while. Eats like a horse and watches everything that happens in the front room like a hawk.
Old 27-01-2018, 10:16 PM
Hatchling

I think it's pretty hard to say what special are underrated. I personally would say that there are a few ones which make great pets but are a bit rare in captivity. For example Curly tailed iguanas or girdled lizards. Both have a great personality and are pretty easy to keep but I don't know how it is in UK or somewhere else but I guess they're not always available. Anyway, these two would be one of my examples.

Best regards,

Tobi
wilkinss77 likes this.
Old 28-01-2018, 11:34 AM
Posting Deity

Curly tailed iguanids
spiny swift iguanids
plated lizards
girdled lizards
Jamaican jungle runners
all the skinks
wall lizards