Adding clay to substrate - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 09-04-2018, 08:02 PM
Super Citizen
Default Adding clay to substrate

No one seems to read the habitat threads so asking again here,

Does anyone that uses Top Soil/Sand mixture, also use clay?

I want to make my substrate better for holding burrows etc but not sure what clay product to buy, can anyone fill me in on what you bought and what you did exactly

This is for a BD&LEO

Old 09-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Premier Citizen

https://www.reptilecentre.com/clay-f34549_23819868.htm
The outback desert bedding or the excavator clay.

I use both, the heavier the excavator clay to outback the firmer the substrate will "set". the mix of outback and excavator makes up about 30% to 40% of the substrate, with sand/soil in equal measure. (So Beardies)

I find it easier to mix the two clay substrates, add water until it binds in the same way damp soil does and then mix that into the sand/soil.
Higher excavator levels and firmly pressed down the mix will dry to form slabs of earth, the outback stuff doesnt dissolve down as well, and higher levels of the outback will give a grainer surface texture and looser substrate.

You can do topsoil and excavator (replacing the sand with just the excavator stuff), or even looser, with topsoil, sand and excavator, which is likely more suited to the Leo.

With all of them, you will still need to mist occationally, and you will find a top up with a litre of water every few weeks help maintain it. Wait till it starts becoming a bit too silt/dust though, you dont want it soaking wet.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:21 PM
Super Citizen

So if I just bought 1 bag of that ex clay for now, poured the whole lot into my vivariums current substrate. I would pull everything out first and then give it a good mixing all over with both hands..........

Thats still going to give me better strong holding burrows than I currently have without right?

I would do one viv at a time to test first

Old 09-04-2018, 10:28 PM
Premier Citizen

It will yes, but you need to get the excavator stuff wet, it comes like a dry powder.

Also, the amount you will need depends on how much is in there already.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:38 PM
Super Citizen

so throw it in, mix it all up, then give it a good misting..

unless im totally mistaken, i cant see one bag of the stuff being too much so if i start with one bag first and go from there? hopefully its enough if not ill add another over time etc

i just wanted to be told i wasnt going to mess up my current substrate by adding a bag thats why i wanted to ask before i just did it, i dont fancy having to start over (still trying to grow colonies of clean up crews in there too so cant have the clay set too hard anyway) i just want it to be able to hold a little better than it does atm when the lizards dig themselves a tunnel thats all
Old 09-04-2018, 11:06 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStruct View Post
so throw it in, mix it all up, then give it a good misting..

unless im totally mistaken, i cant see one bag of the stuff being too much so if i start with one bag first and go from there? hopefully its enough if not ill add another over time etc

i just wanted to be told i wasnt going to mess up my current substrate by adding a bag thats why i wanted to ask before i just did it, i dont fancy having to start over (still trying to grow colonies of clean up crews in there too so cant have the clay set too hard anyway) i just want it to be able to hold a little better than it does atm when the lizards dig themselves a tunnel thats all
Start with half the bag, you can always add more.
DStruct likes this.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:00 AM
Super Citizen

Thanks Az

P.S
Anyone want a bearded dragon? Mines now for sale

Debbie1962 likes this.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:14 AM
Premier Citizen

You're officially furniture to it.

The footstool

Oh and i would get the excavator stuff wet first before putting it in. You will need a fair amount of water, dont want to drown the cleanup crew.
Work it in in small sections, less disruption overall, so if there are colonies of anything they arent completely scattered all over the viv.

You might want a waterbottle to mist as you go, the substrate in there will take on some of the water, but you dont want the excavator stuff so wet it it slurry so its better to add a little as you go when mixing rather than try compensating before mixing the two.

Last edited by Azastral; 10-04-2018 at 01:21 AM..
Old 10-04-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStruct View Post
Thanks Az

P.S
Anyone want a bearded dragon? Mines now for sale

Oh gross lol.