Considering Breeding my Bearded Dragons - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 12-04-2018, 09:58 PM
Egg
Post Considering Breeding my Bearded Dragons

I was considering breeding my bearded dragons, I have a normal (male) and a hypo leatherback (female) and I would like to know what the potential outcome would be, would the babies just be plain and be normal with a bit of her colour?

All the advise would I can get would be a great help.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-04-2018, 04:27 PM
Regular

What are you looking to get out of breeding your beardies? Business? cause that rarely ends up being profitable enough to making living out of. You need to seriously consider a number of things before even thinking about doing this.

• Do you have enough enclosures for the hatchlings? I've heard you can get upwards of 50 hatchlings over a few clutches from one mating.
  • Do you have enough live food to feed your own pets plus 50+ growing baby beardies?
  • Do you have the cash to cover the hike in electricity?
  • Do you have the time to care for all those beardies?
  • Are your current beardies healthy enough for mating? are they old enough? mating takes alot out of them. (what if they don't mate and just fight)
  • Medical bills?
I dont want to be negative about it, but I want you to know its a big resposibility.
Debbie1962 likes this.
Old 13-04-2018, 07:56 PM

Have to agree with the above. Also consider the market is saturated with beardies including plenty of morphs. So unless you are guaranteed something quite fancy it may not be worth your while. Sad but true. I loved breeding beardies years ago but won't do it anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-04-2018, 08:32 AM
Hatchling

I also agree
The young are a lot of work they need feeding 3 times a day and you need to keep them for at least 6 weeks.
and be prepared for lots of mini silent crickets running around your house, as a few always get away when feeding.
They need cleaning out twice a week and then you have to find buyers, the female lays around 15 to 20 eggs a time ever 3 to 4 weeks up to 6 lots.
you also need an incubator , containers for the eggs, vermiculite and somewhere for the female to lay her eggs.
I have one set of red normal's left to come out and will be lucky if i get £20 each for them, at least i have solar panels on my house that helps with the cost.
I am happy if i make enough profit to replace the tubes and bulbs in my adult vivariums for the year, and buy a few thousand silk worm eggs.
Old 14-04-2018, 09:08 AM
Forum Citizen

If you want to experience it without producing lots of hatchlings - once the eggs are laid only keep 2-5 eggs at most, destroy the other eggs.

You get the pleasure of breeding, it will be much easier to raise a couple of hatchlings than a whole clutch. You won't over-saturate the market any more and have to find so many good homes for them.

Sadly it's difficult to find them good homes! Bearded Dragons are everywhere, quite cheap too and often end up filling rescue places or living short, painful lives ending up in a home that doesn't know how to correctly care for them. Only a select few really get the correct care they need, spacious enclosure, good diet, substrate to dig in, UV-b lighting etc...
Old 14-04-2018, 09:41 AM
Premier Citizen

You've been given a lot of very good advice.

To give you a better picture of cost:
A successful mating can lead to an average of 6 clutches, each with about 15 to 18 eggs. Every 4 to 6 weeks they will produce another clutch, meaning you will need LOTS of incubation space as you can have 3 or 4 clutches incubating at a time where they overlap.

A 3ft by 1.5ft deep viv will house about 10 hatchlings, very very quickly reducing to 4 or 5 hatchlings over the space of a month or so. By two months old, you will struggle to keep 3 in the same size viv, they will have completely outgrown it.
All will require full UV and heat setups.

Each hatchling will need feeding 3 times a day, and preferably daily cleaning...twice a week and i promise you that viv will look like a literal shitheap. 4 or 5 hatchlings will -easily- eat an entire tub of small/1st instar crickets at each feed.

Ignoring electric, that can easily mean needing 12 vivs up and running, each consuming about 2 tubs of insects each day. Any beardies kept more than 6 weeks will need extra vivs, if you cant find a buyer for them you can end up with dozens of beardies, each very close to needing their own viv each and starting to become actively aggressive towards each other.
Add to that the female can retain sperm and produce eggs again up to 12 months later.... i promise you, you will end up getting far more than you are expecting.
Bearded dragons are prolific breeders.

The market is flooded, first round of breeding NEVER makes money, it costs far too much to set it up. You will struggle to find a buyer, even more so if you arent producing high end morphs, which yours wont be.

At best, you might get half showing hypo/leatherback, most likely you will get a whole bunch of norms.
It all depends on the father (norm) and if he actually carries any regressive traits.

Its incredibly time consuming, expensive and just a bad idea to venture into breeding unless you have high quality morphs and even then its a tough market.

The best i can suggest, its whats been said above, keep a couple of eggs, freeze the rest.

This is still very unfair on the female, mating is very stressful for them, drains a LOT out of them and can come with health risks if your care isnt right. Im sure the last thing you want is for an egg bound female having to have surgery to get the eggs out or possibly dying.

I get the appeal, i toyed with the idea myself, and found it very hard to resist, but honestly, its a very very poor decision to make for a lot of reasons, not just cost.

Last edited by Azastral; 14-04-2018 at 09:47 AM..

Tags
baby beadies , beardeddragons , breeding , reptile