Going to be getting a Chinese water dragon - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 03-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Hatchling
Default Going to be getting a Chinese water dragon

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I have been thinking of getting a Chinese water dragon, I have a bearded dragon and he is 10 years old!

So i'm familiar with owning a reptile, however one thing I can't seem to get a straight answer for is what % the UVB bulb should be, I have always used a 12% arcadia T5 uvb bulb and all the years I have had my breadie I haven't had any problems, so some people say you should use the same either a 10 or 12 % desert bulb, and other sites say you should use the forest type, being 5-6% for Chinese water dragons as they don't need as much uvb???

Can someone who has a water dragon clear this up for me and tell me which one it is that water dragons need please, Thanks
DStruct likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2018, 09:38 PM
Super Citizen

No help for you sorry
Please keep updated with pictures of your setup and everything, Im very interested to see... water dragons look one of the coolest imo
Old 03-05-2018, 10:04 PM
Hatchling

I'll keep it updated with pictures when I start buying things for the vivarium, I'll be getting a 4ft long 2-3 foot deep and 5ft high viv so he/she will have lots of room .

I agree they do look amazing creatures, buying one isn't the easiest though especially where I live bearded dragons are easy to get anywhere but types other reptile are a lot harder down here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Premier Member

The choice of UV system and heating system of course can only ever be made with the species to be kept in mind, the size and type of viv and the expected distance between the reflected lamp and the animals head when it is seated at the very top of the basking zone.

If we provide the upper quantity of energy here we can be quite sure of the full implementation of the light and shade method and that an animal cannot easily be exposed to an index of energy greater than the developed need,

So, for a waterdragon we would want to see an index of UVI 3.00-5.00.

This can be provided in the following ways.

Either use a D3 6% T5 lamp and reflector and have the basking zone at 12" from the lamp to the top of the head.

or, a D3+ 12% T5 and reflector at 18" from the lamp to the head

or, a 14% 'DragonLamp' at 22-24" from the lamp to the head.

The quantity of UV-B or 'index' reduced in potency as the photons spread out over distance covering area. As such stronger lamps are needed to supply the same target index at differing distances.

You then choose a heat source, regulated by a suitable stat to match the desired level of heat at that chosen distance so that all heat and light are provided at one horizontal zone. This then allows in your case, vertical and horizontal self-regulation.

An 'array' of a suitable Halogen and Deep Heat Projector working in tandem would provide the correct heat while providing the correct or most 'bioavailable' wavelengths.

John,

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 04-05-2018, 11:26 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadiajohn View Post
The choice of UV system and heating system of course can only ever be made with the species to be kept in mind, the size and type of viv and the expected distance between the reflected lamp and the animals head when it is seated at the very top of the basking zone.

If we provide the upper quantity of energy here we can be quite sure of the full implementation of the light and shade method and that an animal cannot easily be exposed to an index of energy greater than the developed need,

So, for a waterdragon we would want to see an index of UVI 3.00-5.00.

This can be provided in the following ways.

Either use a D3 6% T5 lamp and reflector and have the basking zone at 12" from the lamp to the top of the head.

or, a D3+ 12% T5 and reflector at 18" from the lamp to the head

or, a 14% 'DragonLamp' at 22-24" from the lamp to the head.

The quantity of UV-B or 'index' reduced in potency as the photons spread out over distance covering area. As such stronger lamps are needed to supply the same target index at differing distances.

You then choose a heat source, regulated by a suitable stat to match the desired level of heat at that chosen distance so that all heat and light are provided at one horizontal zone. This then allows in your case, vertical and horizontal self-regulation.

An 'array' of a suitable Halogen and Deep Heat Projector working in tandem would provide the correct heat while providing the correct or most 'bioavailable' wavelengths.

John,
Thanks for the info John, I always had a 12% D3 T5 tube type bulb for my beardie, so I'll probably use they same type but a 6% for a water dragon and as you mentioned to have it around 12 inches from there head.

I always use a separate heat source for a basking bulb so I use a D3 tube for UVB same as mentioned above, I would set it up like me beardie, having the basking bulb and the uvb bulb in the same place so when they are basking they get the uvb as well.

Tags
chinese water dragon uvb