New Leopard gecko wont eat or leave hide - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 09-05-2018, 04:38 AM
Egg
Default New Leopard gecko wont eat or leave hide

I recently adopted a 2-year-old female leopard gecko on Friday. The previous owner told me that she ate the day before. When I received her she was in a rinky dinky 10-gallon terrarium with 1 hide and ground walnuts as a substrate. The next day I bought a 20-gallon terrarium that has 2 hides and a moist hide I made out of Tupperware and a heating mat underneath. All she does is sleep in the moist hide, even at night. she hasn't left the hide in 4 days. I tried to feed her a cricket on Sunday and she didn't even look at it. I left it there till today since I figured she won't eat it. I have mealworms in a bowl inside her tank that she hasn't touched either. I dont know what to do... when should i try to feed her again? is she okay? is this normal? She has a fat tail so I know she ate a lot with her previous owner. please help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2018, 08:01 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhambam View Post
I recently adopted a 2-year-old female leopard gecko on Friday. The previous owner told me that she ate the day before. When I received her she was in a rinky dinky 10-gallon terrarium with 1 hide and ground walnuts as a substrate. The next day I bought a 20-gallon terrarium that has 2 hides and a moist hide I made out of Tupperware and a heating mat underneath. All she does is sleep in the moist hide, even at night. she hasn't left the hide in 4 days. I tried to feed her a cricket on Sunday and she didn't even look at it. I left it there till today since I figured she won't eat it. I have mealworms in a bowl inside her tank that she hasn't touched either. I dont know what to do... when should i try to feed her again? is she okay? is this normal? She has a fat tail so I know she ate a lot with her previous owner. please help...
We need to know:
Temps? Needs to be 95-100f at the hot end.
Substrate? Needs to be something loose to dig in, but not calci sand.
Lighting? Should be UV.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:20 AM
Premier Citizen

First off, the change in home is possibly stressed her out. Its always a good idea to give a week or so after a big change like this to let them settle. Maybe even cover the viv with a sheet for a few days.

Secondly, even though you have improved the viv it was in, its still very basic, heat mats are very poor at being basking spots or warming vivs.

Do you know the animals history in terms of supplements/UV use?
What are your temps like and how are you taking the readings?

20 gallons is a bit of a useless measurement in most the world. Its volume, but not dimensions. Leos are terrestial and need a horizonatal thermal gradient to be able to regulate their temp properly. Height, width (length) and depth are far more important that the volume inside when it comes to going over setups.

How long in the viv, and how deep is it? (what is the floor space like?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2018, 03:12 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
We need to know:
Temps? Needs to be 95-100f at the hot end.
Substrate? Needs to be something loose to dig in, but not calci sand.
Lighting? Should be UV.
Her hot side is 96 and the cool side is 75. she spends most of her time in the cool side anyway because i made a diy moist hide with some Tupperware and i guess she likes that it's closed all around. In fact, she hasn't left her moist hide since i changed her AT ALL! I know this for a fact because she stays in the same position all day... she does have calci sand as a substrate because the reptile shop person guy said it was the best choice since it wouldn't cause impaction. The previous owner gave me a dual fixture light (i think that's how you call it??) with a uva light and an infrared night light but i dont use it since the reptile shop guy said that it can hurt my gecko eyes and that all i really need is a heating mat (i also read people online saying that).I'm all really new to owning a reptile so any advice, tricks, and tips would be great ;_;
Old 09-05-2018, 03:17 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azastral View Post
First off, the change in home is possibly stressed her out. Its always a good idea to give a week or so after a big change like this to let them settle. Maybe even cover the viv with a sheet for a few days.

Secondly, even though you have improved the viv it was in, its still very basic, heat mats are very poor at being basking spots or warming vivs.

Do you know the animals history in terms of supplements/UV use?
What are your temps like and how are you taking the readings?

20 gallons is a bit of a useless measurement in most the world. Its volume, but not dimensions. Leos are terrestial and need a horizonatal thermal gradient to be able to regulate their temp properly. Height, width (length) and depth are far more important than the volume inside when it comes to going over setups.

How long in the viv, and how deep is it? (what is the floor space like?)
ahhhhh im new to owning a reptile so im sorry if i sound like an actual idiot. Her tank dimensions are 30"L x 12"W x 12"H ; 25lbs. The previous owner had a uva and infarred dual light fixture that he would use for day and night but some guy in a reptile shop said not to use it and only to have a heating mat. Im honestly so confused because it seems like nobody can really agree on what's right in the reptile world so the minute i feel like im doing something "right" it turns out its all wrong but then someone else says it's right and IDK. I need all the help i can get ;_;
Old 09-05-2018, 03:19 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Her hot side is 96 and the cool side is 75. she spends most of her time in the cool side anyway because i made a diy moist hide with some Tupperware and i guess she likes that it's closed all around. In fact, she hasn't left her moist hide since i changed her AT ALL! I know this for a fact because she stays in the same position all day... she does have calci sand as a substrate because the reptile shop person guy said it was the best choice since it wouldn't cause impaction. The previous owner gave me a dual fixture light (i think that's how you call it??) with a uva light and an infrared night light but i dont use it since the reptile shop guy said that it can hurt my gecko eyes and that all i really need is a heating mat (i also read people online saying that).I'm all really new to owning a reptile so any advice, tricks, and tips would be great ;_;
First, get him off the calci sand ASAP! It's not true that it won't cause impaction, it WILL! In fact, it's one of the few loose substrates that's dangerous to use. It was designed to dissolve in the stomach & therefore not cause impaction, but it doesn't work- instead it only partially dissolves & then resolidifies as clumps, which cause impaction. What you need is play sand, preferably mixed with soil, or a packaged desert substrate.
Have a read of this: Loose substrates & the myth of gut compaction.
For the heat, a ceramic lamp is best, & turned off at night- leos don't need night heat.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:53 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
First, get him off the calci sand ASAP! It's not true that it won't cause impaction, it WILL! In fact, it's one of the few loose substrates that's dangerous to use. It was designed to dissolve in the stomach & therefore not cause impaction, but it doesn't work- instead it only partially dissolves & then resolidifies as clumps, which cause impaction. What you need is play sand, preferably mixed with soil, or a packaged desert substrate.
Have a read of this: Loose substrates & the myth of gut compaction.
For the heat, a ceramic lamp is best, & turned off at night- leos don't need night heat.
So ecoearth is okay? do you think i can use reptile carpet with paper towel on top or no? I know she doesn't have impaction right now because she hasn't even stepped on the sand when i put her in the tank... all she does is stay in her hide and sleep. How long should i wait to feed her again and if she still doesnt eat then what should i do? how long should i wait to be worried about her not eating? it's been 6 days so far without any food
Old 09-05-2018, 04:12 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
So ecoearth is okay? do you think i can use reptile carpet with paper towel on top or no? I know she doesn't have impaction right now because she hasn't even stepped on the sand when i put her in the tank... all she does is stay in her hide and sleep. How long should i wait to feed her again and if she still doesnt eat then what should i do? how long should i wait to be worried about her not eating? it's been 6 days so far without any food
Eco earth might be ok mixed with play sand. But soil/play sand is better, or a packaged desert substrate. Not carpet or any solid flooring, as leos need to be able to dig. But carpet is safer than calci sand as a temporary substitute until you can get a better loose substrate like I've suggested.
Try changing the mat for a ceramic bulb, & turn it off at night.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:47 PM

Agreed on the calci sand it needs getting rid of. You can use play sand or a sand/soil mix. The lack of eating is probably due to relocation stress plus the change of tank/viv as your temps seem okay. It may take a week or so for the gecko to start eating and exploring.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:40 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1962 View Post
Agreed on the calci sand it needs getting rid of. You can use play sand or a sand/soil mix. The lack of eating is probably due to relocation stress plus the change of tank/viv as your temps seem okay. It may take a week or so for the gecko to start eating and exploring.
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!! SHE LEFT HER MOIST HIDE TODAY!! when i came back home from work i was shocked to see her in the warm hide and decided to try to feed her again. I put two crickets inside and she showed signs of interest!!! the only problem is the crickets are really good at hiding... thank you, everyone. i'll be removing the calcisand this weekend!

Tags
eating , hide , leopard gecko