Chinese water dragon water temperature - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 31-05-2018, 04:08 PM
Hatchling
Exclamation Chinese water dragon water temperature

Hi I can't find this answer anywhere on the net, do I need to have a heater in my chinese water dragons water (his pond area) I assume I do and have the water around 30C but I can't get a definite answer.

Else the water won't be that warm if it just stays in the vivarium I'm worried it would be too cold for him and he will not go in the water if it isn't heated, or if he does he will get too cold and become ill, but can someone let me know a definite answer asap please I'd really appreciate it thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-05-2018, 08:36 PM
Regular

I couldn't find a definite answer when i did mine so i decided to set the water to 24C. She's been fine with it through winter and in the recent warm weather here so seems good to me. In fact she's always in and out of it, one of her favourite places to go sit is in the bottom section of the waterfall with the water running round her head lol.
Old 31-05-2018, 11:11 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
I couldn't find a definite answer when i did mine so i decided to set the water to 24C. She's been fine with it through winter and in the recent warm weather here so seems good to me. In fact she's always in and out of it, one of her favourite places to go sit is in the bottom section of the waterfall with the water running round her head lol.
Thank you for letting me know what you have done, I think I will probably do the same thing for my guy just to be on the safe side, I'd rather him be warm then cold.

Just wondering what filter/waterfall kit do you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 08:32 AM
Premier Citizen

I don't have the water heated with my CWD, never have done & he's happy to spend his time in the pool. He rarely moves to the basking area after he gets out to warm up, my thoughts are that if he's cold after a swim he'll move to the basking area as a rep would do if it's too cold but he normally climbs out and sits on his favourite branch in the middle of the Viv.
'When you don’t have many friends and you don’t have a social life you’re kind of left looking at things, not doing things. There’s a weird freedom in not having people treat you like you’re part of society or where you have to fulfill social relationships'

~ Tim Burton.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:34 AM
Super Regular

Do they not use the water to cool down anyway?

Last edited by Rolls; 01-06-2018 at 08:40 AM..
Old 01-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Regular

The surface of the water in mine is 6ft from the viv heat source and the water leaves the viv and goes through a big (ish) canister filter then back to the viv so I put a heater in on a fairly low temperature so that it doesn’t pick up a chill in the winter. To be honest the heater doesn’t kick in in the water all that much but, keeping the water temperature up a bit seems to help with consistent humidity.... each to their own though as with most things I guess

Tags
chinese dragon water