Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Lizards (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/)
-   -   Ever try Bio Pod Grand? (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/1250962-ever-try-bio-pod-grand.html)

AAronCap 03-06-2018 07:49 AM

Ever try Bio Pod Grand?

I'm strongly considering this instead of the traditional aquarium and plethora of devices. Does anyone have experience with the enclosure or know someone who does? I want to use it for a trio of Five Lined Skinks and some Large American Millipedes and was wondering if anyone has any experiences with Bio Pod?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

MikeO233 03-06-2018 09:39 AM

I tried a Terra.

It had to go back because of many faults.

I was also really disappointed with the build quality for such a premium product.

Initially I asked for a replacement, however there was no remaining stock of the terra in the UK so I just got a refund. I didn't bother with buying another one after the experience.

It doesn't really provide anything more than what you can create yourself at a fraction of the cost. Also I've never been able to get any kind of explanation about the lifespan of the UV in the cold cathode tube and if / how these are replaced.

Joel116 03-06-2018 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeO233 (Post 13207057)
I tried a Terra.

It had to go back because of many faults.

I was also really disappointed with the build quality for such a premium product.

Initially I asked for a replacement, however there was no remaining stock of the terra in the UK so I just got a refund. I didn't bother with buying another one after the experience.

It doesn't really provide anything more than what you can create yourself at a fraction of the cost. Also I've never been able to get any kind of explanation about the lifespan of the UV in the cold cathode tube and if / how these are replaced.

i think the build quality will be a little better considering the bio pod grand costs £1199:lol2:
i have a few mates with bio pods ( not the grand, but there the same just smaller) from what i have heard its the best they have ever used and is best on the market. the only negative is the price and its your decision if its worth the money, but considering its got a mister, a heat source, lights, camera ect. for some people it can definitety can be justified.

MikeO233 03-06-2018 04:32 PM

The build quality has nothing to do with the price. The terra is a premium product for a viv of its size and at £550 you expect a good quality product.

What I mean is things like the lid - It's flimsy plastic with terrible clips which fail easily. Same on all models. The spray nozzle fixtures are cheap - They are the same on on models. The spray system tank isnt held in by anything other than its own weight and a tiny bit that fits into the pump system - You guessed, same on all models.

It just doesn't deliver the expected results to the price point. The grand is only more expensive because it is so much bigger (more materials), not because they make it any better than any of the smaller models.

They are just simply not worth the money and have been overhyped. They haven't delivered what they set out to do.

Oh also the camera is of really poor resolution, there have been multiple reported problems of Wi-Fi connections dropping out every couple of days (mine also suffered this problem) and the connectivity in general is pretty damn slow in terms of sending it instructions.

I was entirely disappointed with mine.

Joel116 03-06-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeO233 (Post 13207433)
The build quality has nothing to do with the price. The terra is a premium product for a viv of its size and at £550 you expect a good quality product.

What I mean is things like the lid - It's flimsy plastic with terrible clips which fail easily. Same on all models. The spray nozzle fixtures are cheap - They are the same on on models. The spray system tank isnt held in by anything other than its own weight and a tiny bit that fits into the pump system - You guessed, same on all models.

It just doesn't deliver the expected results to the price point. The grand is only more expensive because it is so much bigger (more materials), not because they make it any better than any of the smaller models.

They are just simply not worth the money and have been overhyped. They haven't delivered what they set out to do.

Oh also the camera is of really poor resolution, there have been multiple reported problems of Wi-Fi connections dropping out every couple of days (mine also suffered this problem) and the connectivity in general is pretty damn slow in terms of sending it instructions.

I was entirely disappointed with mine.

i thought you were talking about exo terra my bad.:lol2:

MikeO233 03-06-2018 04:54 PM

:lolsign: Yeah no, not an Exo Terra, the BioPod Terra.

:lol2:

s6t6nic6l 03-06-2018 11:22 PM

The thought of having one of these bio's would give me endless worry about when the "board" might start having problems and the whole system breaks down. For the price I expect a lifetime guarantee but that still doesn't help unless you another one running too :gasp:. I like the grand myself but could never justify getting one for any of my critters. I prefer the "seperates" approach for the simple reason that you replace any faulty product alone without too much interuption to your setup. It is why I don't have a climate controller either incase something goes wrong electronics wise. Plus, you buy what you specifically need instead of what is given to you in an all-in-one system.

Joel116 04-06-2018 06:44 PM

their is the biopod 2 range that has come out recently that has apparently fix the biggest problems.

MikeO233 04-06-2018 07:06 PM

It's not in stock yet.

Perigrine expected it in March.

I had a conversation with someone from Biopod in Canada who said that production had not even started in March - They have to make them, fill a container and get it shipped from China.

You are looking at another 6 weeks I would imagine before any land in the UK, unless anyone else knows otherwise.

Joel116 04-06-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeO233 (Post 13208818)
It's not in stock yet.

Perigrine expected it in March.

I had a conversation with someone from Biopod in Canada who said that production had not even started in March - They have to make them, fill a container and get it shipped from China.

You are looking at another 6 weeks I would imagine before any land in the UK, unless anyone else knows otherwise.

i got a email from northhampton reptile centrer saying they have them in stock. thats the only reason i know about them.