Our Leopard Setup - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 10-06-2018, 09:03 PM
Regular
Default Our Leopard Setup

Okay, so our girl is eating again, she hasn’t eaten since she shed two days ago, but she did pack in a meal beforehand. She was living on tile for a while, but we finally switched over to loose substrate for the first time. We currently are using moistened PlaySand, which works well, and she likes to walk on it.

Here is a photo of her vivarium.

I did leave the one section with tile, because that’s the hot side, and tile will heat up the same as having a flat stone underneath the basking spot. She has her hot hide there and likes to spend time in that.

The new halogen basking spot will be ordered today, so she will start to have some nice heat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2018, 11:41 PM
Regular

@wilkinss77
Forgot to call on you to see the setup.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:29 AM
Super Regular

Can't see any wires other than the one for the bulb. Are you using thermometers and a thermostat? I'd recommend using smaller hides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2018, 12:31 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK Geckos View Post
Can't see any wires other than the one for the bulb. Are you using thermometers and a thermostat? I'd recommend using smaller hides.

Yes, we are using a thermometer currently, but not a thermostat, we are yet to get the heat bulb. I am not changing hides, she’s an eight inch gecko and these hides perfectly fit her body.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:36 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaCrab View Post
Okay, so our girl is eating again, she hasn’t eaten since she shed two days ago, but she did pack in a meal beforehand. She was living on tile for a while, but we finally switched over to loose substrate for the first time. We currently are using moistened PlaySand, which works well, and she likes to walk on it.

Here is a photo of her vivarium.

I did leave the one section with tile, because that’s the hot side, and tile will heat up the same as having a flat stone underneath the basking spot. She has her hot hide there and likes to spend time in that.

The new halogen basking spot will be ordered today, so she will start to have some nice heat!
Now that's more like it! Let the sand dry out though- don't forget leos are from deserts & dry steppes. when you get the basking bulb, you'll have the ideal set up.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:38 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
Now that's more like it! Let the sand dry out though- don't forget leos are from deserts & dry steppes. when you get the basking bulb, you'll have the ideal set up.

Thanks! Yeah, the sand was already moist so I couldn’t change that right away, it’ll dry up soon.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:18 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Yes, we are using a thermometer currently, but not a thermostat, we are yet to get the heat bulb. I am not changing hides, she’s an eight inch gecko and these hides perfectly fit her body.
Is that just a UV light that's on? If there is no additional heating then do not feed the gecko, you are just asking for problems if you do.

I know how big leopard geckos are, I've got plenty of them. Looking at the photos they are huge and they, the wooden one on the cool end especially, would be best swapped out for something smaller. Geckos like to feel secure and do best with snug hides.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:15 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK Geckos View Post
Is that just a UV light that's on? If there is no additional heating then do not feed the gecko, you are just asking for problems if you do.

I know how big leopard geckos are, I've got plenty of them. Looking at the photos they are huge and they, the wooden one on the cool end especially, would be best swapped out for something smaller. Geckos like to feel secure and do best with snug hides.
Yes, just the ZooMed ReptiSUN bulb, but we bought a heat emitter, and another fixture for this current UV bulb to serve as the “daylight” source. So, in total, I have two domes above the tank.qqq
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I keep soft wash cloths bunched up inside each hide for comfort.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:26 AM
Regular

Quote:
Yes, just the ZooMed ReptiSUN bulb, but we bought a heat emitter, and another fixture for this current UV bulb to serve as the “daylight” source. So, in total, I have two domes above the tank.qqq
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I keep soft wash cloths bunched up inside each hide for comfort.
We also have the thermostat and thermometer.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:27 AM
Regular

Oops, sorry, double post.