Dead baby mhd - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 30-06-2018, 01:31 AM
Egg
Default Dead baby mhd

I got a mhd from pet supermarket over 4 months ago it was alone today i got home from work and found a dead baby floating in her pond i have been crying ever since i found it why did the baby drowned is it possible she laid an egg in the water and i didnt see it i dont see any nest digging in tank or any eggs i looked a little but i didnt do a full on search because if theres more eggs idk if i should disturb them or not is it possible to only lay one egg is it my fault for not having proper housing for any pregnant mhd i thought it was a boy this whole time!!! I feel like the baby dying is my fault can someone please give me some closure on mhd eggs and stuff like that could the baby not swim i just dont undrtstand how there is a dead baby in the water she poops in there did she accidentally let an egg /baby out while pooping if there is more eggs and they hatch will mom eat them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-06-2018, 02:08 AM
Premier Citizen

Pardon?

Why are you talking about eggs, when you are talking about a baby lizard, you are rambling.
Old 30-06-2018, 02:16 AM
Egg

Sorry i am really upset i have an adult mhd when i got home today i saw a very tiny dead mhd in the water i didnt see any eggs any where so i am wondering if she has more in her belly or maybe in the tank some where or is it possible she just lsid one egg in the water and i some how missed it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-06-2018, 02:35 AM
No Life Member
Reviews: 30

If you have found an unexpected dead baby there will be more eggs in there somewhere I reckon, I would concuct your search for them in viv corners and under humid areas like water containers mountain horned dragons don’t just drop eggs and then hatch immediately, it takes a while of them sitting in the right conditions , if there was an egg in the water you would have spotted it, I would be vigilant, at this stage I do not think it is wise to go digging but I would set up a temporary enclosure.

Have to admit, thats pretty cool though! Shows your viv conditions must be adequate somewhat to find a hatchling

One point I will make with this infernal heat we have been having lately.

I aquired my very first pair of moutnain horned dragons when I was 16 12 years ago, I accidentally killed them both by keeping them far too warm similar to water dragons, in spite of this disheartning and heart wrenching experience my gran and mum bought me an additional pair WC (most were then)

With no access to the internet, and very little care literature I attended some herp meetings for all our local “experts” advising me I should bump the temperatures up. Still being unsure I knew I had done something very wrong with the first pair and accordingly I had done exactly as they advised the first time, my logic told me with snakes at least, being cooler was a safer bet, sure reptiles need heat but they can last a lot longer cooler.

In my mind I was thinking about experimenting by just switching off both heat and UV and slowly making observations if they survived with me, thats exactly what I done, to my complete surprise they became so highly active, (obviously I re introduced the UV too) but kept them much cooler.
I even got eggs out of them at one point and a few babies)

What I am saying is this, check your temperatures more closely in this weather, while it is possible one just got out of the egg and could not get out of the water, hatchlings are so very fragile and excessive heat can literally cause them to drop dead.

In my mind I am actually thinking you should remove mum into a separate container or enclosure until you find out the situation, some may have already hatched, you may have to search, she could even have eaten some babies, above all, ensure they are super well hydrated snd receiving regular mist downs with cool water, mhds have a strong attraction to moving water and will even appear to“wash themselves” with it (you peobably already know that)

Here is an older video on some of my lepidogaster, (will have to get some new footage) https://youtu.be/xwT2lS4fMHE

If you cant move mum anywhere for now, I would suggest shallowing or the water container and giving more additional attention to spray downs, my hunch is your going to find more eggs in there and some may have hatched or in the process of hatching.

Good luck.
Old 30-06-2018, 02:38 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkisharlow View Post
Sorry i am really upset i have an adult mhd when i got home today i saw a very tiny dead mhd in the water i didnt see any eggs any where so i am wondering if she has more in her belly or maybe in the tank some where or is it possible she just lsid one egg in the water and i some how missed it
I would take a guess that there will have been more than one egg. You'll need a shallower pool or more ways to escape it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azastral View Post
Pardon?

Why are you talking about eggs, when you are talking about a baby lizard, you are rambling.
They got a MHD, it laid egg/s, egg/s hatched, baby drowned, now worried if more babies and what to do.
wilkinss77 and Diplo like this.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:35 AM
Premier Citizen

Yeah, re-reading it when sober i actually nderstood...
I thought she had bought a baby, and it had died, but it was laying eggs... didnt know what was going on...

But as others have said, if theres one, theres possibly more.
It of course depends on the species as to how many eggs there might be at a time, i dont know average clutch size for MHD's but may be worth having a look.

I also think they are right to say take the parent out for a bit, drain the pool a little so its shallow too and be very careful with the viv temps.

You may well have a few hatchlings on their way..