Crested Gecko Wooden Vivarium - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 30-06-2018, 10:00 PM
Egg
Default Crested Gecko Wooden Vivarium

I’m looking into getting a crested gecko and wondering if my current vivarium would be suitable. I modified this previously from a terrestrial to an arboreal vivarium and the measurements are 50cm wide x 45cm deep x 90cm tall. I will need to silicone all the seals due to humidity but on one side the join is a bit warped already.

My worries are:
- How wood deals with humidity (already a bit warped)
- Not much ventilation (6 vents on back)
- May get too warm as wood retains a lot of heat.
- Lighting/heat bulb will be inside the viv and may be a risk of burns if the crestie climbs on it.

I have added pictures of the viv with lighting/heating and where the wood has slightly warped.

Wondering if I can use what I already have or try to sell this and get a glass viv?
Attached Thumbnails
Crested Gecko Wooden Vivarium-ed8c63a5-90e0-4051-89b1-1c2bd14e3b65_1530388593140.jpg  

Crested Gecko Wooden Vivarium-7d635662-29ee-4bd5-9a22-ef01b5025364_1530388643090.jpg  

Crested Gecko Wooden Vivarium-27c6b181-169e-4364-9998-ad9890b0cd78_1530388750784.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 04:22 AM
Premier Citizen

Really not worth the hassle, time you fix all those issues and the biggest is the heat and light being inside, not something you should be doing if not covered.

Ceramic heaters are the best, and they are big, not a lot of room for one of those inside.

Just save for an Exo Terra or similar, you and the crestie will be glad you did.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Premier Citizen

I dont think its a good idea either, sorry.

Wooden vivs arent suited to what you would be doing for a crestie environment the better choice by far is a glass or perspecs viv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 02:24 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy95 View Post
Iím looking into getting a crested gecko and wondering if my current vivarium would be suitable. I modified this previously from a terrestrial to an arboreal vivarium and the measurements are 50cm wide x 45cm deep x 90cm tall. I will need to silicone all the seals due to humidity but on one side the join is a bit warped already.

My worries are:
- How wood deals with humidity (already a bit warped)
- Not much ventilation (6 vents on back)
- May get too warm as wood retains a lot of heat.
- Lighting/heat bulb will be inside the viv and may be a risk of burns if the crestie climbs on it.

I have added pictures of the viv with lighting/heating and where the wood has slightly warped.

Wondering if I can use what I already have or try to sell this and get a glass viv?
It's the perfect vivarium for a crestie, and a proper size too for once.

I have used wooden vivs almost exclusively for years without issue, with species that require much higher humidity requirements than cresties(cave geckos and croc skinks to name a few). You also don't see the water dragon and iguana keepers building their massive vivs out of glass, it's always wooden enclosures.

You will obviously have to do a few modifications but spending an extra £10 on a big viv is better than forking out for a new one. As you say you'll need to silicone all edges and exposed fittings. I'd highly recommend lining the bottom up to the level of your substrate. This can be done with perspex, pond liner or protection sheets like Proplex. Pond liner was always what I used and I have never had a single leak even when providing pools for water skinks. I have recently started using Proplex sheets for new builds as it's much less fiddly but it does mean having to seal the joins of the sheets too which makes me think it may hold more potential to leak but after 6 months or so on some it seems fine(many others have been using it for a couple of years with no leaks.

The ventilation should be fine but if you want more it's easy enough to cut a few holes or even cut out the top and add a screen. You're obviously quite handy with how good a job you've made of the current mods you've done.

It will retain heat but not overheat. It's not going to get too warm unless you use unstatted heat sources. I can maintain lower temps needed for cave geckos, cat geckos, bent-toed geckos, croc skinks, etc. so being wood does not make any difference really. It will hold heat better and make it more economical.

Cover the bulbs either with bulb guards, build a false top inside or, as I said above, turn the top into a screen top and rest them on it. Bulbs should never be unguarded, they aren't just to protect the animal when they try climbing on them but also to hold a bulb if it falls from it's fitting. There have been one or two horror stories of bulbs, especially ceramics, falling from their fitting and landing on the species basking directly below.
Tortoise Man likes this.