Vivarium sharing - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 01-07-2018, 04:53 PM
Hatchling
Default Vivarium sharing

I have seen a few setups that have snakes or lizards living together but the general consensus is that unless trying to breed at a suitable age and size this isn’t a good idea. Due to dominance, over sexed females and Cannibalism. I get that, makes sense and you don’t want to stress animals in captivity.

However I have kept aquariums for years with very successful communities of different (compatible) species. I have also seen a few bio Viv setups with different frogs, snails etc in. So my question is, is it possible to share a Viv with a lizard and a snake?

I wouldn’t have thought a corn snake and bearded dragon would end well. As I would think they would try to eat each other - depending on who was biggest. Is there a combination that can share an environment and a similar temp setup that wouldn’t see each other as competition or prey?

Just curious. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 05:33 PM

Post in Snakes as well. You will probably get more replies. Be prepared though!
Old 01-07-2018, 05:55 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaolinD View Post
I have seen a few setups that have snakes or lizards living together but the general consensus is that unless trying to breed at a suitable age and size this isn’t a good idea. Due to dominance, over sexed females and Cannibalism. I get that, makes sense and you don’t want to stress animals in captivity.

However I have kept aquariums for years with very successful communities of different (compatible) species. I have also seen a few bio Viv setups with different frogs, snails etc in. So my question is, is it possible to share a Viv with a lizard and a snake?

I wouldn’t have thought a corn snake and bearded dragon would end well. As I would think they would try to eat each other - depending on who was biggest. Is there a combination that can share an environment and a similar temp setup that wouldn’t see each other as competition or prey?

Just curious. Thanks.
There are, but none of them are species you're likely to be able to get. Ringneck & DeKay's snakes won't bother lizards, & insectivorous lizards won't bother them. But you can't get them in the trade anymore- even when you could get them they were rare, once-in-a-blue-moon imports.