My Leopard Geckos tail is too skinny! HELP! - Page 4 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 09-07-2018, 12:55 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabygirlM View Post
How old is she?
Apart from everything everyone else has already said (and Iím no expert btw), a variety of crickets and locusts is probably more enticing and nutritious for your geckos, may be wrong but I gave mine silk worms every so often as a treat, insects they can chase are usually more appealing.
This.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2018, 12:19 PM
Hatchling

She is a baby right now. I started syringe feeding her with a homemade mixture of water, crushed Mealworms, one blueberry, and a few drops of honey. I got her to slurp some of it up yesterday. She is still refusing Mealworms and Crickets though. I know force feeding is bad but I tried to very gently opening her mouth so I could put a Mealworm in but she just kept spitting it out. I got her to eat one tiny piece of a Mealworm though. I just kept her in a container with an old shirt, wash clothes, and extra hides. I don't have an extra Terrarium like some of you expect me to have, along with extra heat pads, and thermometers. I only have a 10 gallon and like I said a few times, I will get a 20 gallon soon. When I woke up this morning I just put her back in the Terrarium with her "sister" because it's warmer in that enclosure.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:39 PM
5 Star Member

Sorry, but you are going about this all wrong! You shouldn't have taken a second animal without having a second setup, not just for quarantine but because there is no guarantee that the animals will want each other in their space. These animals can cause a lot of damage to each other if they consider them competition.

Constantly moving her around, low temperatures, being housed with another gecko and force feeding is only adding to her reluctantance to feed. She's undergoing a large amount of unnecessary stress in quite a short period of time. Force-feeding her when she's not warm enough is just going to cause more issues.

We 'expect' you to have spare equipment because that's the responsible thing to do. Not just incase you bring another animal home, but incase any equipment breaks or is faulty.

Either get another setup or re-home the animal, for both geckos welfare.

https://www.facebook.com/BizarreBeasts/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2018, 01:16 PM
Hatchling

I never said that they didn't get along. So for your information, they do get along. In fact they sleep with each other in the same hides and sleep with each other. They even follow the other if one of them moves to another hide. And I am pretty sure that my parents aren't going to just go out and buy me another Terrarium because I "need" another one. They are very careful on how they spend their money. You can't just assume that we are able to afford everything.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:24 PM

As has been said above you are causing her considerable stress by keeping on moving her and keeping her in an unheated enclosure. The other older one will be adding to this. They are not friends. The following about is not because they like one another. Horrendous injuries can occur resulting in one thing.

Why on earth did your parents purchase the second one?
Old 10-07-2018, 01:27 PM
Hatchling

Because we saw her in a local pet store and along with the other Leopard Geckos she was being poorly cared for. Dried Mealworms, no calcium, high water bowl, no humidity, and I remember at one point they had sand in their enclosure. So I asked if we could get her.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:30 PM
5 Star Member

You won't know if they get along until it's too late. We don't know enough about leopard gecko behaviour to understand them properly, something as simple as a stance or eye contact could be the difference between them 'getting along' to one of them getting a leg ripped off (not exaggerating either). The sharing hides is because they probably have little choice in a small tank with one heat source, which encourages competition.

Most people here can't afford everything, but do spend a lot of money ensuring their animals are well cared for.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:30 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopardGeckosAreCute View Post
I never said that they didn't get along. So for your information, they do get along. In fact they sleep with each other in the same hides and sleep with each other. They even follow the other if one of them moves to another hide. And I am pretty sure that my parents aren't going to just go out and buy me another Terrarium because I "need" another one. They are very careful on how they spend their money. You can't just assume that we are able to afford everything.
You should never have got a second one, and its quite obvious that you dont understand what these animals actually need.

Reptiles are not like dogs or cats, even if there were just one the size of viv and setup itself is awful. Using heat mats, no UV in a small aquarium. Its the same standards as how you would keep a block of lab rats. (not as in the lighting and stuff, but as in a small, bare little plastic box ) The whole setup is wrong, meaning the gecko will already have issues with its appetite, let alone putting in the factors of co-habitation and increasing stress.

You need a 3ft long viv, you need UV ( because you arent able to supply a proper diet and balanced supplementation routine, massively increasing the chances of there being more health problems to come). You need proper heat provision and setup a real basking area, you need more hides (one of which needs to be a humid hide).

Last edited by Azastral; 10-07-2018 at 01:41 PM..
Old 10-07-2018, 02:26 PM
Hatchling

You know what?!? Screw you guys, it seems like you can't freaking read. I KNOW the Terrarium is too small, it's all my mom could afford at that time, plus when we got the first Leopard Gecko she was a tiny baby so it was necessary to get a 10 gallon at the time. And I said countless times that I WILL SOON get a bigger Terrarium. My God, like can you guys listen for once. You people are acting like all these problems are my fault, I said that SHE WAS ALREADY SICK WHEN WE GOT HER. I needed help to fatten up her tail and advice to get her eating again, I would have gotten everything else on my own. I know they need UVB, I know they need a humid hide, I know they need a bigger Terrarium, you people don't have to keep shoving that in my face, do you take me for some sort of idiot?!? I do plenty of research before getting an animal. My parents and I can't get everything at once, we were going to get the things we needed when we were able to get it. And I can't help the fact that I am moving her around, you people are the ones who told me to freakin quarantine her. I made it obvious that there was no warmth for her when I quarantined her. And instead of helping me and giving me good and proper advice on feeding her, it seems like you guys are mostly worried about the Terrarium size and the temperature. I KNOW the temperature is a bit too low but I can't help that because it's hot over here and my parents keep the A.C and fan on all the time. I keep trying to explain myself but you judgemental people won't listen. Of course, this message isn't going to all of you, just to the people that really made me mad. And excuse me for my "bad care", I'll let you know that I take care of two Sugar Gliders, three Parakeets, two Leopard Geckos, and a Dog. I came here for help and advice on how to get my poor baby to eat again and she still isn't eating so the only option I could resort to was feeding her with a feeding syringe. And we are taking her to a vet which are ACTUAL EXPERTS ON REPTILES. Sorry for this message but some of you really started to pluck my nerves. DON'T EVEN BOTHER writing a reply because I will not answer and will never use this website again.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:32 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopardGeckosAreCute View Post
You know what?!? Screw you guys, it seems like you can't freaking read. I KNOW the Terrarium is too small, it's all my mom could afford at that time, plus when we got the first Leopard Gecko she was a tiny baby so it was necessary to get a 10 gallon at the time. And I said countless times that I WILL SOON get a bigger Terrarium. My God, like can you guys listen for once. You people are acting like all these problems are my fault, I said that SHE WAS ALREADY SICK WHEN WE GOT HER. I needed help to fatten up her tail and advice to get her eating again, I would have gotten everything else on my own. I know they need UVB, I know they need a humid hide, I know they need a bigger Terrarium, you people don't have to keep shoving that in my face, do you take me for some sort of idiot?!? I do plenty of research before getting an animal. My parents and I can't get everything at once, we were going to get the things we needed when we were able to get it. And I can't help the fact that I am moving her around, you people are the ones who told me to freakin quarantine her. I made it obvious that there was no warmth for her when I quarantined her. And instead of helping me and giving me good and proper advice on feeding her, it seems like you guys are mostly worried about the Terrarium size and the temperature. I KNOW the temperature is a bit too low but I can't help that because it's hot over here and my parents keep the A.C and fan on all the time. I keep trying to explain myself but you judgemental people won't listen. Of course, this message isn't going to all of you, just to the people that really made me mad. And excuse me for my "bad care", I'll let you know that I take care of two Sugar Gliders, three Parakeets, two Leopard Geckos, and a Dog. I came here for help and advice on how to get my poor baby to eat again and she still isn't eating so the only option I could resort to was feeding her with a feeding syringe. And we are taking her to a vet which are ACTUAL EXPERTS ON REPTILES. Sorry for this message but some of you really started to pluck my nerves. DON'T EVEN BOTHER writing a reply because I will not answer and will never use this website again.
I'm going to be that person who does reply, as this is a resource for everyone and you won't be the first or last person to do something like this.

What you don't seem to understand is that the whole enclosure needs to work together to keep your gecko healthy. You don't seem to understand that, if the heating is insufficient, your gecko is not going to eat willingly as it's body is not functioning efficiently, it cannot digest it's food! So in advising you that you need to sort out your temperatures, we were giving 'proper' advice as this is the key to getting your animal feeding.

Right now, I honestly wouldn't be wasting money on a vet and instead spend it on necessary equipment. An 'EXPERT' will look at the animal, listen to your setup and tell you that the environment needs to be corrected before the gecko will improve (and we're kindly telling you that for free!). If the animal is as small and thin as you say it is, anything other than a faecal test by the vet would be irresponsible at this point. If the animal is still struggling once the husbandry is correct, then I would go to the vets.

You've very few options (and rehoming her is still a valid one and probably the best). If you cannot buy suitable equipment, or heat the quarantine tank then you're killing her slowly. Your last option is to keep her with your other female (at this point anything contagious will probably have been passed on anyway) and keep a close eye on them. Make sure the heating is up to scratch (95F, moving to a room without fans or a/c), plenty of hides and enough food to avoid competition and arguments. I would refrain from force feeding until she is able to access suitable temperatures as her digestive system is currently not up and running. Look out for cheap equipment in the meantime so that you are able to separate them as housing them together is risky.
FK Geckos likes this.