Takydromus eggs and hatchlings - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 08-07-2018, 04:20 PM
Super Citizen
Default Takydromus eggs and hatchlings

It's been awhile since I posted about this species: Takydromus toyomai. I figured I would give an update, since not much has been written down on this species.

The big one has been cooking for a while and should be hatching this week. The little ones are due in three weeks or so. The incubator is set at 27-28 degrees and use a 1-1 water to substrate ratio. The eggs should take about a 40-45 days or so to hatch. I'm not totally sure, since my first set of eggs incubated mostly inside the terrarium. When I discovered the eggs and put them into the incubator, they pretty much hatched the next day.

One of the recently hatched young, it's a shame the colours don't pop up as well in the photo's as they do in real life. I was wondering with what colours the youngsters would hatch. I was surprised there was quite a bit of variation between my the two that have already hatched. I have one with a very dark green/brownish body, with a creamy underside. The one above that is a lot more similar to his parents, a lot greener with a yellow throat. I'm looking forward to see how the incubating young will look.

Breeding is relatively easy when the adults are well taken care of. The biggest challenge is moving freshly laid eggs and hatchlings safely. Even hatchlings that just made it out of egg are lighting fast.

I'm surprised how bold the young animals are, for such tiny animals. They have very little issue with being observed. Food was taken after a few days after being hatched in the form of fruit flies. They are housed pretty much the same way as adults. The only large difference is that I spray a little less twice a day and every nook an cranny is properly sealed off.

A very cool and unknown species that I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for something a bit different.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
eggs , hatchlings , long tailed lizard , takydromus , toyamai