I could use a second opinion on my Ackies - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 08-07-2018, 08:07 PM
Regular
Question I could use a second opinion on my Ackies

Here is a link to my enclosure https://imgur.com/gallery/VXEJh03

Hi guys,

I am concerned about my Ackies, they seem very lazy? when i have been told that they basically do not stop. They hatched 4-6th of may and i picked them up on the 26th of May.

Their enclosure is 5x2x4 feet with around a foot of topsoil/sand mix and then some leaves etc for good measure.

Basking spot is set to 70c and is a stack configuration.
Ambient temp is 30c and night is 20c
Humidity is 80%

Basking and ambient temps are provided by a 70 watt solar raptor metal halide flood light.

Diet is primarily crickets, I also offer salmon, pinkies, waxworms, locusts, dubias to mix things up as treats/ supplement.

I am working on the hands off approach to taming them, they are doing ok, but still a bit skittish.

i'd say their enclosure has plenty of cork hides and places to tunnel, also plenty of climbing sticks. There is also a variety of clean up crew to provide interest. Have i made it too busy for them?

Take a look at the linked gallery, tell me what you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 04:29 PM
Regular

I’m not an ackie expert, but they do like to run around, all those branches make it a bit cluttered, I’d remove about half of them. Beautiful viv BTW!
Muzzah likes this.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:03 PM

They are quite shy animals to start with especially babies so you may not see them being so active as yet. As said they do like to run around a lot so as suggested maybe remove a few of the logs to create a clear running area. No need to ditch the logs just put some of them at the ends of the Viv instead. I do think they have been sold too early too. I never sold mine under 8 weeks of age.

Babies do prefer it a little cooler than 70. But that shouldn't matter as long as you have a decent cool end. What Is the temp at the cool end?

Have you seen them eat at all?
Muzzah likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 07:15 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1962 View Post
They are quite shy animals to start with especially babies so you may not see them being so active as yet. As said they do like to run around a lot so as suggested maybe remove a few of the logs to create a clear running area. No need to ditch the logs just put some of them at the ends of the Viv instead. I do think they have been sold too early too. I never sold mine under 8 weeks of age.

Babies do prefer it a little cooler than 70. But that shouldn't matter as long as you have a decent cool end. What Is the temp at the cool end?

Have you seen them eat at all?
Hi thanks for the response.

I'll see what I can do with the clutter, might even make it more interesting for them with the switch up. I honestly wouldnt know if they were sold too young.

As for temps, I am going off the suggested care sheet from Phil but I am willing to adjust if you have a recommeded temp? The ambient temp is around 30c and down near the water bowl its about 25c.

As for eating, yes I have seen them eat, however one is more shy than the other about eating in front of me.

My ackies happiness is paramount so please feel free to tell me where i can improve

Last edited by Muzzah; 09-07-2018 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Answering a question.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:22 PM

The temps don't need adjusting as long as they have a cool end to retreat to so don't worry unduly about that.

You just need the middle of the Viv a little clearer for them for having a run around. Don't go changing things too much at this moment in time as it could stress them ut more.

If they were born at the beginning of May and you got them on the 26th May then in my opinion they were rather young for selling.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:32 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1962 View Post
The temps don't need adjusting as long as they have a cool end to retreat to so don't worry unduly about that.

You just need the middle of the Viv a little clearer for them for having a run around. Don't go changing things too much at this moment in time as it could stress them ut more.

If they were born at the beginning of May and you got them on the 26th May then in my opinion they were rather young for selling.
Fair enough, he said when I purchased them that he wanted to make sure they were healthy before I picked them up, hence why I got them later. Either way, I just want them to be happy in there, I'll have a go at moving some stuff tomorrow, but limit it.
Debbie1962 likes this.

Tags
ackie , monitor lizard