What Size Heat Mat For A 4x2x2ft Viv? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 27-07-2018, 08:19 PM
Hatchling
Default What Size Heat Mat For A 4x2x2ft Viv?

Could someone please tell me what size i need to get from the link?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reptile-Viv...rium+Heat+Mats

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-07-2018, 08:53 PM

Which animal is it for?

Not always a good idea to go for a non branded item/not a well known make.
Old 27-07-2018, 08:54 PM
Postaholic Member

Ideally covering somewhere between a third but less than a half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 27-07-2018, 09:06 PM
Hatchling

It's for a beardie. I went for this brand because it had decent review's compared to the more well known brands.
Old 27-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mg Grows View Post
It's for a beardie. I went for this brand because it had decent review's compared to the more well known brands.
Not a good idea to use a heat mat for a Beardie. They need intense heat at the basking spot with temps of 110-115f, and the heat turned off at night. They also need a deep, loose substrate which you can't use a mat with.
Old 27-07-2018, 09:56 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
Not a good idea to use a heat mat for a Beardie. They need intense heat at the basking spot with temps of 110-115f, and the heat turned off at night. They also need a deep, loose substrate which you can't use a mat with.

Ok duly noted. I've decided to get the Habistat Dimming Thermostat 600w and Reptiles Planet Ultrasun UVB Reptiles Lamp for the basking spot. So with your comment in mind, what about the rest of the vivarium, how do I heat that? Will that mean buying another thermostat and lamp?
Old 27-07-2018, 10:20 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mg Grows View Post
Ok duly noted. I've decided to get the Habistat Dimming Thermostat 600w and Reptiles Planet Ultrasun UVB Reptiles Lamp for the basking spot. So with your comment in mind, what about the rest of the vivarium, how do I heat that? Will that mean buying another thermostat and lamp?
You can't use that bulb in such a small vivarium. This type of bulb will not work with a thermostat so there will be a huge risk of overheating. What you need is an Arcadia or Zoo Med 12% T5 tube which doesn't need a thermostat as it gives off minimal heat and a halogen light bulb for heat which will go into that thermostat.
wilkinss77 likes this.
Old 27-07-2018, 10:55 PM
Premier Citizen

Dont even bother with the heat mat.

You need a proper basking setup, that will in turn warm the viv correctly.
Heat mats are NOT suitable for heating open spaces, and beardies respond to light intensity for basking.

You're getting a minimum sized viv for a single beardie, look at something like a 75w halogen bulb or similar with a uv tube that covers the length of at least half the viv, preferably about two thirds of it.

Theres a stickied post at the top of this forum with more info on setting up, wherever you have got your current information from its awful. (And if its from the guy you linked a video of in another thread, it doesnt surprise me....)
wilkinss77 likes this.
Old 27-07-2018, 10:56 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK Geckos View Post
You can't use that bulb in such a small vivarium. This type of bulb will not work with a thermostat so there will be a huge risk of overheating. What you need is an Arcadia or Zoo Med 12% T5 tube which doesn't need a thermostat as it gives off minimal heat and a halogen light bulb for heat which will go into that thermostat.

Its an MVB bulb? the wattage seems alright at 80w, but yes, you cant put that bulb on a stat so it will completely overpower the viv. Its not suitable.
wilkinss77 likes this.
Old 28-07-2018, 12:40 AM
Hatchling

The shopping list I made tonight needs totally redoing now. It's a good thing tho because I want to get everything right the first time round and not have to upgrade my gear like I did with fishkeeping. The reason I went with the
ceramic bulb heater holder type lighting was because I thought it would be easier and cheaper. I am aware of the t5 and t8 fluorescent tubes but I thought I shouldn't bother with them, because in my other hobby fishkeeping\planted tanks, barely anyone uses them as they are viewed as expensive and old technology. I did make a thread asking members to help make a shopping list to get me started, didn't go as planned so I've just been joining the dots since then.

Obviously all of you can tell I'm a noob and have no experience so need pushing in the right direction. I did want to own a Jewelled lacerta as my first lizard but for some reason (even tho I did plenty of research) it seems more than I can chew. Once I've had actual experience then yeah I'll own one but until then I've settled for a beardie. When I next get payed I'm buying the Bearded Dragon Secret Manual since it seems the best book out there.

Anyway I'm going to reflect on your comments a bit more and then go to bed.