Crested gecko Heating question - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 31-07-2018, 08:45 AM
Hatchling
Default Crested gecko Heating question

I'm currently monitoring tempuatures
in my glass terrarium (45×45×60) for a crested gecko, and would like some advice on heating at night and keeping the ambient air temputure up.
I use a heat mat placed on the side of the tank with a thermostat set at 78, however I'm not sure of the best place for the probe. I have tried placing between the glass and mat however I find this does not heat the tank very well. I then used the probe against the inside of the glass which worked better however how could I secure the probe so it could not be moved?
What setups do you use?
For daytime I use a low wattage hear bulb that keeps the tank at 82 with a temputure gradient throughout.
Thanks 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-07-2018, 10:30 AM
Premier Citizen

Heat mats are very poor ways to warm actual space, and only really provide warmth as a surface heater, a localised hot spot.
Its generally recommended to use a ceramic bulb, but there are a variety of ways.

Have a proper look through this site:
https://howtocrestie2.weebly.com/

Its probably the best guide you will find for cresties, and it also gives several ways of doing things, not just a single recommended method.
Its by a VERY experienced keeper/breeder as well as pulling in from other keepers/breeders to really give an excellent starting point for people wanting to keep cresties.
Old 31-07-2018, 02:36 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azastral View Post
Heat mats are very poor ways to warm actual space, and only really provide warmth as a surface heater, a localised hot spot.
Its generally recommended to use a ceramic bulb, but there are a variety of ways.

Have a proper look through this site:
https://howtocrestie2.weebly.com/

Its probably the best guide you will find for cresties, and it also gives several ways of doing things, not just a single recommended method.
Its by a VERY experienced keeper/breeder as well as pulling in from other keepers/breeders to really give an excellent starting point for people wanting to keep cresties.
Thanks I shall look through it 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-07-2018, 05:09 PM
Super Regular

a heating source is optional unless your house drops below 20c

activity levels and feeding response stays the same from 20-30c. this is all founded by my own experience.
Old 31-07-2018, 05:51 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece_p View Post
a heating source is optional unless your house drops below 20c

activity levels and feeding response stays the same from 20-30c. this is all founded by my own experience.

Many, many people would disagree with you from their own experience, but as mentioned, that site covers many different methods.
Old 31-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azastral View Post
Many, many people would disagree with you from their own experience, but as mentioned, that site covers many different methods.
there probably are. im just talking from my own personal experience of raising multiple cresties. not gonna try and fix what is not broken.
Old 31-07-2018, 08:10 PM
Super Regular

As Azastral has said mats are pretty much useless especially for an arboreal species. You want either a halogen or ceramic. A crestie can survive very well without additional heating but in my opinion this is their downfall. People choose them because of how cheap they are to look after as they don't exactly need heat or lighting so the only running cost is food.

Personally I think this is a load of crap and everyone else would too if they just acknowledged a reptile's basic biology. As we all know reptiles are cold blooded(ectothermic) so need an outside source to get to the optimal body temperature. This surely signifies that they need a thermal gradient whether it be providing a heat source in the form of a bulb to warm the enclosure or an ice pack and fan to cool areas of the enclosure(obviously goes by a species' optimal temp and room temps). By keeping them at a constant temperature you are being extremely cheap and cruel.

I'd recommend using a low wattage halogen bulb to provide a basking(surface) temperature of 30c whilst allowing the lower half of the enclosure to remain in the low 20s. I don't provide heating at night but my enclosure never dips under 20c.
Old 31-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Super Regular

keeping them in the 22-27c range is cruel? thats their native habitat temp range.

how have so many thousands survived at room temps if they NEED a thermal gradient?

like i said in my experience, keeping them in the 22-25c room temps hasn't done mine any harm. all active and healthy, reaching 30g by the 9-10 month mark.

by the way. keeping animals in TINY 60cm enclosures is cheap and cruel.
Old 31-07-2018, 08:49 PM
Super Regular

Quote:
keeping them in the 22-27c range is cruel? thats their native habitat temp range.
Their range goes higher and lower. You also obviously didn't read what I said. Keeping them at room temp is cruel in my opinion, yes. They should have a gradient in their enclosure which isn't provided if keep them at 'room temperature'.

Quote:
how have so many thousands survived at room temps if they NEED a thermal gradient?
Because they are one of the hardiest species about. Their basic biology dictates that they should be given a gradient. Again read, it's all there.

Quote:
like i said in my experience, keeping them in the 22-25c room temps hasn't done mine any harm. all active and healthy, reaching 30g by the 9-10 month mark.
Again, they are extremely hardy animals. You could keep them in a coke bottle for 10+ years without ill effects, doesn't mean you should. We should all be trying to provide the optimal conditions for our animals.

Quote:
by the way. keeping animals in TINY 60cm enclosures is cheap and cruel.
I agree, that's why I provide enclosures much larger than the norm. The often quoted size of 45cmx45cmx60cm for an adult is frankly pathetic.
chloere93 likes this.