Leopard gecko heating question - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 21-08-2018, 10:06 PM
Egg
Default Leopard gecko heating question

I’m after some advice on heating my new leopard gecko. I use to keep these lovely creatures years ago but things to have moved on over recent years!

So I have her in a 3ft by 1.5 ft wooden Viv, using Arcadia Earth Mix Arid as substrate. I have the Arcadia shade dweller Pro T5 UVB light. But it’s the heating I’m in two (or more) minds about. I currently have a heat mat in the Viv under a ceramic tile with a 1cm air gap, and a dusting of the earth mix arid on top. The thermostat is set to 32 with the probe on the mat. I have a digital thermometer with the probe on top of the tile and only getting 28, is this enough?

I’m considering swapping the tile for the Vivexotic glass heat mat holder to see if this lets the heat through better. Or can I just put the substrate directly on the mat? After reading through various posts I’m wondering if a heat lamp of sorts would be better (but this is a whole new area to me so makes me more nervous), and if so what sort, considering I already have the uvb light?

Thanks in advance, there’s so much conflicting advice around I’m getting very confused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-08-2018, 10:19 PM
Super Regular

I'd always recommend overhead heating over a mat, it's more natural and just makes more sense. A heat mat only heats the surface directly above and does very little, if anything, to the air temps in the viv. Basically with a mat you have a hot surface and the rest is at room temp. This can be problematic if you have a cold house. Using a bulb(ceramic or light emitting) allows you to provide multiple surface temps when used alongside rocks under the heater. They will also heat the air and give a more comfortable environment.

In my opinion a halogen beside your uvb lamp would be the best option. Place a cluster of large rocks under this and, in my opinion, you'll be giving your gecko a fantastic setup.
wilkinss77 likes this.
Old 21-08-2018, 11:01 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderolin View Post
Iím after some advice on heating my new leopard gecko. I use to keep these lovely creatures years ago but things to have moved on over recent years!

So I have her in a 3ft by 1.5 ft wooden Viv, using Arcadia Earth Mix Arid as substrate. I have the Arcadia shade dweller Pro T5 UVB light. But itís the heating Iím in two (or more) minds about. I currently have a heat mat in the Viv under a ceramic tile with a 1cm air gap, and a dusting of the earth mix arid on top. The thermostat is set to 32 with the probe on the mat. I have a digital thermometer with the probe on top of the tile and only getting 28, is this enough?

Hi, you need an IR Temp-gun to accurately measure the surface temp of objects, the probe is not as effective even though the thermometer is digital...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-I...t/292149459584
Zincubus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-08-2018, 11:03 PM
Egg

Thank for the advice, that’s good to know. Would something like this work https://www.arcadiareptile.com/envir...eat-projector/ ? I assume I just use this to hold it https://www.arcadiareptile.com/envir...mp-holder-pro/ (like I say, all new!) would I need a safety cage too? Also the Viv is only around 16 inches tall, does that matter? Finally I assume this would be instead of the heat mat rather than in addition? Thanks again
Old 22-08-2018, 12:14 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderolin View Post
Thank for the advice, thatís good to know. Would something like this work https://www.arcadiareptile.com/envir...eat-projector/ ? I assume I just use this to hold it https://www.arcadiareptile.com/envir...mp-holder-pro/ (like I say, all new!) would I need a safety cage too? Also the Viv is only around 16 inches tall, does that matter? Finally I assume this would be instead of the heat mat rather than in addition? Thanks again
Lamp instead of mat, & turned ff at night to let the viv cool down as it gets cold at night where leos come from.