Itchy around 2 adopted Bearded Dragons - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 13-09-2018, 09:20 PM
Egg
Question Itchy around 2 adopted Bearded Dragons

Hi,

I adopted 2 bearded dragon, one is healthy and the other is showing signs of MBD. On the first day I got them I emptied all of the substrate, disinfected the whole vivarium whilst they were in the bath and put all new bowls/baths/decoration inside.

Every time I get them out me and my friend both get very itchy afterwards. I have even come up with a rash across my face even though the bearded dragon went nowhere near? It's not the claws or spikes either. I don't have allergies to anything and it's a bit weird both me and my friend are itchy. I have inspected them for any mites on them but can't see anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Frankie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-09-2018, 09:26 PM
Forum Citizen

I can't help but Bearded Dragons shouldn't be kept together - they are known to fight and can seriously injure each other.
murrindindi likes this.
Old 13-09-2018, 09:37 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebutton View Post
Hi,

I adopted 2 bearded dragon, one is healthy and the other is showing signs of MBD. On the first day I got them I emptied all of the substrate, disinfected the whole vivarium whilst they were in the bath and put all new bowls/baths/decoration inside.

Every time I get them out me and my friend both get very itchy afterwards. I have even come up with a rash across my face even though the bearded dragon went nowhere near? It's not the claws or spikes either. I don't have allergies to anything and it's a bit weird both me and my friend are itchy. I have inspected them for any mites on them but can't see anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Frankie

Hi, can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure including a top view and give details of the conditions, also say what substrate you`re using now? How long have you had them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-09-2018, 10:35 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esiuol View Post
I can't help but Bearded Dragons shouldn't be kept together - they are known to fight and can seriously injure each other.
I know, I was skeptical about them being together too, they were together when I adopted them and the man said they have been together since babies and have never had a fight. Since I have had them (5 days) they have both kept themselves to themselves. I said to the man I adopted them from if there are any problems or signs of distress I will be re-homing one of them.
Old 13-09-2018, 10:40 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrindindi View Post
Hi, can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure including a top view and give details of the conditions, also say what substrate you`re using now? How long have you had them?
Hi, I am new to this website so I am unsure how to post a photo, I am currently using Zoo Med Repti-Sand as recommended by my local pet shop. The one I am suspecting has MBD can't use her back legs properly, her skin was black and she was just overall lethargic. Since adopting I have adjusted the correct temperature and UV light, adding calcium supplements too their food and I have seen an amazing change. She has had more energy and has more strength on her back legs. I have only had them for 5 days. Thanks.
Old 13-09-2018, 10:55 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Hi, I am new to this website so I am unsure how to post a photo, I am currently using Zoo Med Repti-Sand as recommended by my local pet shop. The one I am suspecting has MBD can't use her back legs properly, her skin was black and she was just overall lethargic. Since adopting I have adjusted the correct temperature and UV light, adding calcium supplements too their food and I have seen an amazing change. She has had more energy and has more strength on her back legs. I have only had them for 5 days. Thanks.

You haven`t said what the temps are (ambient and basking surface plus the humidity range) and how you measure all those)?
I usually copy and paste from a Windows photo album or Flickr or Photobucket.
Below the messages you type lower down on the page click on "Manage attachments".
Old 14-09-2018, 03:22 PM

Strange one this. I have reacted to nails scratching me but other than that I can't think why you would be having this reaction.

And yes I agree that it is not a good idea to keep together. Any problem can be fast and fatal.
Old 14-09-2018, 09:21 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
I know, I was skeptical about them being together too, they were together when I adopted them and the man said they have been together since babies and have never had a fight. Since I have had them (5 days) they have both kept themselves to themselves. I said to the man I adopted them from if there are any problems or signs of distress I will be re-homing one of them.

You said one has signs of MBD, thats a problem and sign of distress...

Bearded dragons sharing set up a submissive/dominant relationship. They might stay apart, or seem to tolerate each other, but one gets the majority of food, takes the better basking spots, gets better nutrition and UV exposure.... and the other then suffers, MBD is most likely the consequence of that here if one has it and the other doesnt.

Separate them, focus on the one with MBD and trying to stop its progress.

I can tell you 100%, they can appear fine for years, then over time, stuff like malnutrition starts to show, or they suddenly start fighting.
They are solitary animal and territorial, even those that "get on" theres one who owns the territory and the other who is essentially bullied and has to take it or risk being attacked.

Tags
bearded dragon (beardie) , bearded dragon advice , bearded dragon mites , itchy skin , lizard advice