Dwarf sand gecko? Please help. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 26-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Egg
Default Dwarf sand gecko? Please help.

I found this little lizard in my apartment! I caught him and took him to the pet store the next morning to find out what he was, and the guy there told me he was a dawf sand gecko. He also knew which building i lived in and said for years, every once and a while people from my building come in with these little guys. Because he didn't have room to take him, and the guy didnt think anyone would be looking for him (i did put up signs) I ended up keeping him, but I have never kept any kind of reptile before and Im feeling overwhelmed. I set him up in a 10gal. Tank with a blue 60 watt day light and a red night light on one side of his tank. He has reptile sand on the bottom, and a small heat pad on the warm side. Ive been putting small crickets in there and i think hes eating them. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I think he is a young Stenodactylus stenodactylus but im not sure. Been trying to figure out how to take care of him the best i can.
Attached Thumbnails
Dwarf sand gecko? Please help.-20180920_200124_1537978132716.jpg  

Dwarf sand gecko? Please help.-20180926_104132_1537978613182.jpg  

Dwarf sand gecko? Please help.-20180926_104220_1537978624773.jpg  

Alyshabarnett likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Regular

Welcome to reptile keeping. You have a pretty cool first lizard there. Thrasops on here keeps colonies of Stenodactylus I think. You could send him a private message I'm sure he would have some great advice for you.
Old 27-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Super Regular

It's not a Steno., looks more like a young Hemidactylus turcicus.

Better photos and your location would help identify it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-09-2018, 02:08 AM
Egg

Oh. I live in niagara falls, NY. I dont think we have any wild lizards around here that look like him. Either way i would like to keep him, and make sure he's a happy, healthy little lizard. Hes very tiny, and moves very fast. Idk if i can get any better photos. I tried, they are not very great. But i cant attatch them? Something about a quota pops up. Hes smaller than my thumb. Mostly the new pics were just so you could scale how tiny he is.
Old 28-09-2018, 07:52 AM
Premier Member

That looks to me like a Mourning gecko.
They are a parthenogenic species so don't need a mate to lay fertile eggs. That would explain why they keep being found in an apartment building. They are great escape artists, especially as hatchlings, which, if that is a Mourning, is what you have.
They are found across a wide range and have spread their species a long way. If I remember correctly they have colonised new areas and spread further than any other reptile species.
Keep it in an escap proof enclosure, with plenty of cover. Replace the sand with a substrate such as coir or bark chip. Spray daily and feed a mix of tiny crickets, fruit flies and crested gecko food. You can also put a small piece of fresh fruit in.
wilkinss77 likes this.
Old 28-09-2018, 06:02 PM
Egg

I was thinking he does look more like an s.petri. than a s.steno. i think i had those names mixed up. Here a more pics, they arent very good tho
Old 28-09-2018, 07:48 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyofmars View Post
I was thinking he does look more like an s.petri. than a s.steno. i think i had those names mixed up. Here a more pics, they arent very good tho
It's not a stenodactylus. They are desert dwellers and would not survive in a NJ building. Its a mourning gecko.
Old 28-09-2018, 08:40 PM
Super Regular

It's not a Stenodactylus species as Ian has said but I really don't think it's a mourning gecko either, it's the wrong shape.

Does it look like this?

Old 28-09-2018, 09:20 PM
Ultra Citizen
Reviews: 6

This is neither a Stenodactylus OR a Mourning Gecko. It is a baby Turkish Gecko (Hemidactylus turcicus), as FK Geckos said further up the thread. They are established and present in New York.
ian14 and FK Geckos like this.
Old 29-09-2018, 04:30 AM
Egg

Thank you guys so much. So i shpuld replace the sand with potting soil, cypress mulch, orchid bark or leaf litter? And mist once a day. He eats small crickets, flightless fruit flies, and i just bought some small superworms i thought i could try feeding him. I dust his food with repti calcium with d3 every couple feedings. These little guys are wild around here? Thats crazy 🙂