Bearded Dragon or Leopard Gecko? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 24-10-2018, 09:42 AM
Egg
Default Bearded Dragon or Leopard Gecko?

I have recently decided I wanted to start breeding lizards but am having trouble deciding between bearded dragons or leopard geckos. I do plan on selling the babies but profit is not a priority, however I do wish to at least stay in or around the green and not go too far into the red. That being said which species would be worth breeding starting off? Which one has the better market? I have a lot of experience owning exotics (mainly reptiles) and have the funds to start breeding. I am just having trouble getting started.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-10-2018, 10:20 AM

Probably neither - market is saturated with Bearded Dragons - just take a look at any of the animal rehoming/for sale sites. Possibly not so much for Leopard Geckos as they don't lay so many eggs, but again still plenty for sale. EBay (although against their rules) has many for sale.

There are some threads on here detailing just how expensive it is to raise young dragons given how many will hatch. Do you think you can house them all until you find buyers?

Are you in the UK?
Old 24-10-2018, 11:44 AM
Premier Citizen

Breeding bearded dragons is a very very bad idea unless you have some real high end morphs, you are also unlikely to make money out of it for the first year, even if you can produce high end morphs.

Anything less than that and you will be giving them away and spending a fortune.

Leo market isnt much better, very common and again a saturated market, neither species is a good choice, Beardies just happen to be an even worse choice than Leos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-10-2018, 11:49 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellsfeathers&fur View Post
Probably neither - market is saturated with Bearded Dragons - just take a look at any of the animal rehoming/for sale sites. Possibly not so much for Leopard Geckos as they don't lay so many eggs, but again still plenty for sale. EBay (although against their rules) has many for sale.

There are some threads on here detailing just how expensive it is to raise young dragons given how many will hatch. Do you think you can house them all until you find buyers?

Are you in the UK?
Thats what I was worried about. I would be able to house them as I have plenty of space, resources, and time. Do you have any other reptiles (lizards mainly) that would do better than those two? Again, I'm not really worried about making a fortune or profit but I would like to be able to sell them off eventually.
Also, I am in the US. Didn't realize this was a UK forum but I'm mainly here to learn.
Old 24-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Super Citizen

me I would go for the bearded dragon
as you can hold them better
also easy to setup a nice desert viv also when they are full grown they eat a lost of veg more than live food so less insect escaping and running around your house
Old 24-10-2018, 11:15 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEPH22202 View Post
Thats what I was worried about. I would be able to house them as I have plenty of space, resources, and time. Do you have any other reptiles (lizards mainly) that would do better than those two? Again, I'm not really worried about making a fortune or profit but I would like to be able to sell them off eventually.
Also, I am in the US. Didn't realize this was a UK forum but I'm mainly here to learn.

The US market is pretty similar if not worse... Beardie breeders are very common.

All are welcome here, dont need to be in the UK, and to be honest, the advice you'll get here is far more up to date and better practice than anything you will find on US forums like beardeddragons.org etc (which are all horrifically out of date in terms of information)
Old 24-10-2018, 11:22 PM
Super Regular

For me I think if you wish to breed any sort of animal at home you kinda have to spend money, I mean if you buy two beardys for £20 and breed them you're going to end up with a baby worth well £20, I want to breed my royals but I bought a couple of nice morphs that I like to do this, a blue eyed lucy and a banana mojave, as for lizards I'd like to breed something like leachies or anything uroplatus, expensive to buy but worth it if you can get them to breed.

Tags
advice , bearded dragon , breeder , breeding , leopard gecko