Artificial Pine Tree/Garland acceptable decoration? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 19-11-2018, 08:01 PM
Egg
Default Artificial Pine Tree/Garland acceptable decoration?

Hi all!

My partner and I are in the process of building a large enclosure for a new bearded dragon and are trying to really put a lot of money and effort into a safe and stimulating home. We are trying to decorate a 3ftx4ft enclosure with a stone/moss/castle ruins theme.I thought that one or two artificial 1ft christmas trees might make for some stimulating climbing decoration and would fit the theme as long as we made sure it wasn't prone to any shed or had any sharp wires.

Obviously the concerns here are if it would be dangerous for a beardie to be tonguing this, and if there's a risk in being pulled apart or eaten.

Do you guys think this would be an acceptable tank decoration? If not, are there any decorations you might recommend?

Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liapera View Post
Hi all!

My partner and I are in the process of building a large enclosure for a new bearded dragon and are trying to really put a lot of money and effort into a safe and stimulating home. We are trying to decorate a 3ftx4ft enclosure with a stone/moss/castle ruins theme.I thought that one or two artificial 1ft christmas trees might make for some stimulating climbing decoration and would fit the theme as long as we made sure it wasn't prone to any shed or had any sharp wires.

Obviously the concerns here are if it would be dangerous for a beardie to be tonguing this, and if there's a risk in being pulled apart or eaten.

Do you guys think this would be an acceptable tank decoration? If not, are there any decorations you might recommend?

Thanks very much.

there are a lot of artificial ivy type plants in must garden centers
plus other plants you may like to add to the viv which would be safe to use
Liapera likes this.
Old 20-11-2018, 08:56 AM

I wouldn't. There are posts on here about dragons that have eaten/attempted to eat them, and the resulting outcome/s isn't/aren't good. Plus of course what 'fumes' are given off when under or near the heat source?
dps51 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Premier Citizen

Id be very cautious using any artificial plants.
If the beardie tries to eat it it can end up being lethal.

I personally wont use any fake plants in my vivs, i know people who have ended up with reptiles with impaction due to trying to eat them, and requiring surgery to remove them and death in some cases.
Old 20-11-2018, 04:39 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellsfeathers&fur View Post
I wouldn't. There are posts on here about dragons that have eaten/attempted to eat them, and the resulting outcome/s isn't/aren't good. Plus of course what 'fumes' are given off when under or near the heat source?
That's exactly what I want to hear, thank you. I was trying to figure out if there was any personal experience using artifical pine but I couldn't find anything online about people trying them. I've never personally had a beardie attempt to eat a fake plant but I know it happens.

I was looking to see what they are made out of and it seems like they're usually made from PVC plastic, which I am not sure of the plastic grade for. I guess usually vivarium plants are often made of aquarium-safe plastic, which is like HDPE 2 and 5- known as food safe plastics such as what microwave safe tupperware is made of. That's all i've gathered so far.

I think I will try to go with aquarium safe ivy plants if possible then.
Old 20-11-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I think I will try to go with aquarium safe ivy plants if possible then
I wouldn't go with that either Ivy is toxic. In my opinion beardies will attempt to eat anything plastic that looks like food or eat any real plants too. Whilst you can get safe plants for them they often don't last long with beardies. They either eat them all or they trash them.
Old 20-11-2018, 06:27 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1962 View Post
I wouldn't go with that either Ivy is toxic. In my opinion beardies will attempt to eat anything plastic that looks like food or eat any real plants too. Whilst you can get safe plants for them they often don't last long with beardies. They either eat them all or they trash them.
While I respect the opinions given, I will likely be purchasing some vivarium and bearded dragon friendly Komodo brand artificial plants, as I have taken care of two bearded dragons to old age who did have vivarium safe plants in their tanks and did show any interest in eating fake plants. I will certainly remove them if I find that the upcoming beardie is attempting to eat the plants or appears to show any interest in doing so, or if I feel that the quality of the vivarium approved decoration is not good enough should the new beardie attempt to chew pick or tongue at it.I also intend to keep the artificial plants away from lights despite that there should be no offgassing or dangers from vivarium approved artificial plants from Komodo.

This is based on our breeder's requests for a safe but also stimulating environment, my experience with beardies and other herps, and from the multiple sources of research I have consulted including other beardie keepers from the forum. I really have just decided to stick with vivarium approved plant decor instead of trying something that may not be specifically branded for vivs.

So whew, with that said.. I will let everyone know if I need to make changes in regards to artificial plants or have bad experiences moving forward.
Old 20-11-2018, 07:27 PM

Fair enough.

Tags
bearded dragon , decoration , plants , tree , vivarium