HELP: crested gecko hiding! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 04-12-2018, 04:21 PM
Egg
Default HELP: crested gecko hiding!

Hi! I am the proud (new) owner of 5 crested geckos. I want to be the very best owner (like no one ever was) and am looking for excited owners to share their wisdom.

Latest- my frog butt, who just recently had eggs (right before we got her- one of them appears to be a dud), is now hard core hiding under moss (full body coverage, hasn't come out). Should I be concerned?

House temp- 25 degrees
Others in tank- 2 other females, 1 male
Tank size- 18 x 18 x 24"
Food- fruit mix, and occasionally protein dusted crickets
Misted- once daily
Water bowl- yes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2018, 04:26 PM

Four in an enclosure that size is not recommended.

https://howtocrestie2.weebly.com/careguide-101.html
Old 04-12-2018, 04:35 PM
Egg

What's a better size or a better number for that size? The enclosure came with the geckos, but I can get another if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2018, 05:15 PM
Premier Citizen

Depending on individuals, you may get away with 4x in a 4x4x2ft enclosure but realistically they will all want an enclosure each.
Azastral and Baby Muffin like this.

www.bioactiveherps.co.uk
Old 04-12-2018, 06:40 PM
Premier Citizen

Im curious why you got 5 at once.... or is it 4?
I would also freeze all those eggs immediately.

How old are all these geckos?
You need to sort out more vivs, preferably one per viv. You can co-habit in larger vivs, but even then you would be very careful about it and monitor like a hawk, only have 2 or 3 in a viv (and much bigger vivs)

The viv you have is a minimum size for one adult crested gecko.
The temperature needs raising, there should be two mistings a day (morning and late evening), whats the fruit mix you refer to?

This is probably the best starting point for anyone getting a crested gecko, very good, reliable and well informed guide from an experienced keeper with a good reputation.
https://howtocrestie2.weebly.com/
Read through all of this website, very carefully. You sound like a brand new reptile keeper and theres a lot of issues immediately from what you have already said.
Baby Muffin likes this.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:01 PM
Egg
Default Why freeze the eggs?

Why would I freeze the eggs?
You're the first person to tell me that; I have them in vermiculite right now in a ventilated container.

The food mix I am feeding them now is repashy, along with calcium dusted crickets (previous owner did rapashy every day, and crickets every 2 weeks). They seem to be eating it.

I have now started misting twice daily.

NEW DEVELOPMENT: one of my females pooped and it was runny. I looked into this and found it can be a symptom of dehydration. I have noticed that this viv doesn't want to retain moisture well. Any solutions?
Old 05-12-2018, 04:03 PM
Egg
Default Also

It's 4 geckos total in this viv, and I am feeding them crickets tonight.

I can confirm that 1 is a year old, but the others I am unsure of. They are all adult size.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:09 PM

What does frog butt mean?
Baby Muffin likes this.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:19 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Muffin View Post
Why would I freeze the eggs?
You're the first person to tell me that; I have them in vermiculite right now in a ventilated container.

Because you have 4, possibly 5 geckos in a viv suitable for one gecko.

Im assuming that also means you dont have other vivs to put them in.

Because youve never had geckos before from what you say and you still need to learn the core information and husbandry for them, before you go about trying to hatch and raise baby ones which are then far more fragile

You are trying to sprint from the word go, without knowing what it is you need to be doing, and its the reptiles that will be at detriment because of it.

What are you going to do about your current over-crowding situation as it is? You need to sort out the housing of the current geckos you now have before you start breeding more, and how are you going to raise hatchlings? What are you going to do with them?

You are not in the position to be incubating and hatching babies, one step at a time.
Tarron and Baby Muffin like this.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:30 PM
Egg
Default Solutions

1. I have scouted a home for one or more of the adults- someone who I trust and is good with animals/ is confident owning reptiles. I'm trying to tease out the most docile, well adjusted one because they have kids and I am want it to be a good match. The idea is that I would give them the gecko(s- max 2) with terrarium the others came in, and get a more suitable viv for the ones I have now.

2. I do have a smaller viv for hatchling geckos, and live around the corner from a reptile store that has assured me that I can drop in to ask questions if I have them.

Do you have any other suggestions you would give me based on the planning and research I have done?

I very much appreciate the input that has been offered thus far and am very teachable.

Tags
crested gecko advice , hiding crestie