Reptile Forums banner

First time owner: advice on lizards please!

712 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Salazare Slytherin 
#1 ·
Hello, I am looking to be a first time owner of a lizard.
I have space and time to collect the supplies, vivarium, and then eventually the lizard itself.
I am ideally looking to buy a lizard that is handleable, ideally eats veg, and sleeps in the night, but I don't mind feeding live prey.
I would like opinions to add to my research on recommended medium/small lizards for first time owners!
Much appreciated, would love to hear from your experience!

#4 ·
Standard uros are a bit more expensive than standard beardys but are kinda different and cool for that I think, there are so many beardys about and while I do love them I feel other lizards get ignored, I'd go if uro personally but that's me, they look like grumpy little dinosaurs but are great, also fully veggie unlike the beardy, they do like it hotter tho.

#5 ·
If you're sold on the only eating veggies, a uromastic is probably your choice as bearded dragons will require bugs & lots of them when they're younger. Never had a uromastic, but currently have a bearded dragon. Nice sociable lizard, just need some bugs along with veggies.

#9 ·
I concur with Desert iguanas too, Chuckwallas can be awesome lizards too but can be more feisty in my expereince, the disadvantage of looking just at Desert iguanas is they don’t appear as often as they used too in the pet trade any more and when they do they tend to go pretty fast. I know Elaine Nolan on fb has recently bred some in Ireland though, maybe it is possible to arrange something?

Uromastyx are also brilliant lizards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.