Reptile Forums banner

eyed lizards help

347 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jeweled lady 
#1 ·
im getting a 2 year old eyed lizard am i able to house a female with him strait away once settled in

#2 ·
First off there is the matter of quarantine. Really essential to prevent any nasties being passed from one to the other.

In my experience it's not advisable to house a male and a female Timon Lepidus together except for a short while to mate. All of my males have been very keen to mate and will not give the female any peace at all. Then, she will lay many clutches of eggs which is really bad for her health, she would more than likely die very young. All my timon Lepidus are housed separately now.

They are fantastic lizards to keep though - I really don't know why they aren't more popular.

#3 ·
First off there is the matter of quarantine. Really essential to prevent any nasties being passed from one to the other.

In my experience it's not advisable to house a male and a female Timon Lepidus together except for a short while to mate. All of my males have been very keen to mate and will not give the female any peace at all. Then, she will lay many clutches of eggs which is really bad for her health, she would more than likely die very young. All my timon Lepidus are housed separately now.
okay thank you can you keep 2 females together

#4 ·
I've never tried to do this. In theory it could work as long as they are a similar size and the viv is large enough. It will very much depend on their characters and if either are more aggressive or dominant. Whenever I have co-housed lizards I have always made sure I have a spare viv just in case they need to be separated ASAP. I learned this the hard way with Leos that had cohabited quite "happily" for a couple of years - then suddenly fighting broke out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.