Reptile Forums banner

Uromastyx equipment

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Debbie1962 
#1 ·
New to reptiles and a new member here :)

I'm looking to purchase a Uromastyx in the very near future but want to ensure I a) have the right equipment and b) that the set up is working as it should do before committing to the purchase.

I may waffle and this post may be rather long winded but I want to ensure everything is tickedy boo to give the inhabitant the best start. I have done much research but, if I'm honest, probably fried the noggin with information overload.

So, equipment, as I understand would be; Vivarium (4ftx2x2), UVB tube, Basking bulb, ceramic bulb, guards for the basking and ceramic bulb, substrate, decor, burrow, feeding bowl(s)

Right, anything I've missed, please let me know.

Questions;

1. Does the UVB tube have to run the length of the viv?
2. Do the Basking and ceramic bulb go at the same end?
3. Substrate?? Realistically, what's best? Sand is natural but I hear horror stories of impaction issues?
4. Burrow....what do I fill it with for him/her to explore their natural tendency to burrow?

See less See more
#2 ·
New to reptiles and a new member here :)

I'm looking to purchase a Uromastyx in the very near future but want to ensure I a) have the right equipment and b) that the set up is working as it should do before committing to the purchase.

I may waffle and this post may be rather long winded but I want to ensure everything is tickedy boo to give the inhabitant the best start. I have done much research but, if I'm honest, probably fried the noggin with information overload.

So, equipment, as I understand would be; Vivarium (4ftx2x2), UVB tube, Basking bulb, ceramic bulb, guards for the basking and ceramic bulb, substrate, decor, burrow, feeding bowl(s)

Right, anything I've missed, please let me know.

Questions;

1. Does the UVB tube have to run the length of the viv?
2. Do the Basking and ceramic bulb go at the same end?
3. Substrate?? Realistically, what's best? Sand is natural but I hear horror stories of impaction issues?
4. Burrow....what do I fill it with for him/her to explore their natural tendency to burrow?
Not true at all if you have your other husbandry right. After all, uro's come from the desert, & what are deserts made of? If loose substrates were dangerous to lizards, they'd all be extinct by now.
Have a read of this:Loose substrates & the myth of gut compaction.

#3 ·
After all, uro's come from the desert, & what are deserts made of? If loose substrates were dangerous to lizards, they'd all be extinct by now.
Well, this was my logical thinking but being new to keeping reptiles, I want to ensure I get all sides of the story! I'd be much happier, as would any potential inhabitant, if I could replicate as natural environment as possible.....sand it is then :)

#6 ·
I keep uros and have done for around 18 years always kept them on sand with no issues. As said avoid calci sand it is not a natural sand and can cause impaction if swallowed due to the sand having the ability to swell in the stomach. As said normal sand will pass through with no problems. You shouldn't need a ceramic just a light emitting heat bulb able to reach the basking spot needed which should be around 120-130f. You shouldn't need a guard on the spot light as the uro should not be able to reach it. I have never needed them for mine.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info. The ceramic I was considering for keeping ambient temperatures at night but if not required then it's not required! The room the Viv will be going in is warm without draughts so I suspect the temperature shouldn't drop too low in any case.

So, just a UVB light running the length of the Viv then?? As for the basking light, the Viv is going to be a Vivexotic Repti-Home Maxi XL so what wattage bulb would you recommend.

There are soooo many options and I don't want to be buying what's not required!

I have many, many questions as there are so many differing opinions/offerings on the internet.

#8 ·
It's very unlikely that your temps will drop too low at night even in winter it's sounds like the room you will be keeping it in is nice and warm. No point wasting money on equipment not needed. The UV can run across most of the Viv but leave some space at one end where there will be no light from either the UV or spot light so that there is a shady area all though this can be achieved with hides of course. As for the wattage of spot light a 100 watt should hopefully be enough.

#9 ·
The UV can run across most of the Viv but leave some space at one end where there will be no light from either the UV or spot light so that there is a shady area all though this can be achieved with hides of course. As for the wattage of spot light a 100 watt should hopefully be enough.
Something like the following?

https://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/reptilelighting/bulbs/844046011275

Again, if UV is not required to run the length then that's save a few pennies! I'm happy to spend whatever but, saving is always nice. Are there other options for UV lighting or is it just the fluorescent tubes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.