Scheltopusik lizards - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 17-06-2019, 12:28 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Scheltopusik lizards

Hi there to everyone.
I've not been on this site for quite along time, but new this was the place to visit if I wanted some good clear advice ( Hopefully)
I've not long ago acquired a European glass lizard who is such a sweetie and very well mannered, doesn't mind being held at all.
I'm a novice to keeping this particular type of lizard and was hoping someone else who keeps them might give me some advice. I've looked up on the internet about them but to be honest not found much that goes into any depth about their care etc, a bit disappointing.
Just to point out I'm NOT a novice at keeping reptiles in general as have quite a few different species so have a good basic knowledge.
Any fellow keepers of these lizards I would be very grateful of some advice

Thanks in advance ppl
Advertisement

Old 17-06-2019, 01:38 PM
Premier Member

Its an incredible species that is for sure! Sadly, there is not much in the way of formal care advice. That's good in one respect as it forces us to look to the wild animal in order to be sure of the correct care...which is always the best thing to do.

Sheltopusik is a highly adaptable and fairly complex species that requires space to do really well. They live over a range of terrain, but generally we can provide scrubland grasses and rocky outcrops in which they will maintain a territory.

Quite a few keepers keep them in secure enclosures outside where they seem to flourish. However, we must keep in mind that the UK summer is no where near as long or in terms of UV, as strong as it is where they were captured. This is a species that will both bury and tunnel, requiring a deep substrate, but is frequently seen openly basking in fairly high temps.

They are true omnivores, requiring a good variety to do really well. Keepers have used OmniGold to boost variety with good results. Within this no one food group should be offered solely. Live inverts are vital, but meats and carrion is taken. Plants, flowers and fruits will also be eaten as will live reptiles, birds, eggs and anything else in the wild. Snails do seem important however.

I am still not sure if we can 100% be sure of visual sexing as yet. We really do not know that much about them.

For sure, this is not a species that should be kept an a 3x2x2 and fed catfood.

They will require a heated and fairly strong UV rich basking zone, a deep substrate of 8-12" or more ideally. A range of live grasses can be grown with other plants. Rocks and branches can be added to provide secluded basking areas.

They may also benefit greatly from winter Brumation or even hibernation depending on animal health and being able to be sure of the exact species. Those in the hobby are most likely from Uzbekistan, but close relatives can even be found over much of the EU and into the med, as such, being sure would help you drill down the seasonal need.

This is also a species that can get quite big when grown.

Keep all of this in mind, provide well and you will see the animal spring to life and be able to demonstrate wild-like behaviour.

Again, a fantastic species, well worth working with.

Arcadia Reptile; Head of Science and Innovation

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

Find us on facebook under "Arcadia reptile"
www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 18-06-2019, 11:19 AM
Ultra Citizen

Hi and thanks very much for the reply, just a couple of points i would like to clarify if i may. What uv would you recommend and also snails, Im guessing not garden ones. And how much do ppl feed them and how often
Advertisement

Old 18-06-2019, 12:49 PM
Premier Member

The choice of lamp can only be made when you know the size and type of viv and the expected distance between that lamp and the animal when seated at the top of basking. In terms of Index, i would aim to get between 3.00-4.00 at basking with a good gradient to shade,

Clean snails can now be bought from reptile stores and online livefood suppliers. These are farmed and food grade. You can also look at OmniGold which has; meat, insects, snails, earthworms, fruits and veg, honey and bee pollen. It can be used to enrich the overall diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise aka Martini View Post
Hi and thanks very much for the reply, just a couple of points i would like to clarify if i may. What uv would you recommend and also snails, Im guessing not garden ones. And how much do ppl feed them and how often
DW2013 likes this.

BRAND NEW BOOK out now. The Elements series; Part 1- FIRE, The Sun, its Use and Replication in Reptile Keeping

www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 19-06-2019, 11:47 AM
Ultra Citizen
Default Omnigold

Can this Omnigold be used as a daily feed or in addition to live food and greens or is a substitute for them I'm also assuming it can be fed to Bearded Dragons. Never heard of it before but thank you I will look into buying some.
Old 19-06-2019, 01:22 PM
Premier Member

Yes, it can be used daily, but variety is king. You should still offer a variety of live and fresh foods, especially with opportunistic omnivores such as these.

Here is a bit more info, https://www.arcadiareptile.com/earthpro/food/omnigold/

Quote:
Can this Omnigold be used as a daily feed or in addition to live food and greens or is a substitute for them I'm also assuming it can be fed to Bearded Dragons. Never heard of it before but thank you I will look into buying some.

www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 19-06-2019, 08:20 PM
Ultra Citizen

So glad I posted on here, thanks so much really appreciate your help. If I have anymore questions I hope you wont mine me picking your brains again
Old 20-06-2019, 12:22 PM
Premier Member

Always happy to help where i can.

Quote:
So glad I posted on here, thanks so much really appreciate your help. If I have anymore questions I hope you wont mine me picking your brains again

www.arcadiareptile.com
Old 28-06-2019, 08:14 AM
Postaholic Member

Please donít come in here telling people to leave and go to Facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Shellsfeathers&fur likes this.
Old 29-06-2019, 02:28 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
Please donít come in here telling people to leave and go to Facebook