Wild plants for beardies - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 21-07-2019, 11:17 PM
Hatchling
Default Wild plants for beardies

I have a very large organic garden with a number of 'wild' areas where native plants (weeds to some people) are plentiful.

I was wondering which of these might be suitable for an adult beardie? Would like to give him some variety in his diet and wondered if there were any native species that people had found beardies liked.

Alternatively are there any that I definitely shouldn't feed him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-07-2019, 07:24 AM
Premier Citizen

Not sure where you live, so native could be anything.

You need to know exactly what plants they are, theres all sorts of herbs they can eat, stuff like dandelions are also pretty good and tend to be a favorite with them too.
Old 22-07-2019, 09:06 AM

Have a look at the Tortoise Table site that will id plants and weeds. Then you'll need to check that it is safe for Bearded Dragons as obviously it is tortoise based, but guessing that if it is poisonous for one species it will be for another. However, you will need to check
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-07-2019, 09:48 AM
Hatchling

Thanks - I am in Cornwall if that's any help. Pretty good at identifying species, so will check out the tortoise site. As you say if it's poisonous to one species of reptile it's likely to be the same to another.

Just want to make sure he has the most varied diet possible, especially as we grow organically so I know there are no pesticide residues etc.
Old 22-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupdragon100 View Post
Thanks - I am in Cornwall if that's any help. Pretty good at identifying species, so will check out the tortoise site. As you say if it's poisonous to one species of reptile it's likely to be the same to another.

Just want to make sure he has the most varied diet possible, especially as we grow organically so I know there are no pesticide residues etc.
The Tortoise Table is a good site for the plants, however you should still make sure that even though you are using pesticides or herbicides nearby field might be and spray can impact your garden aswell. As well if it is near any major roads pollution from traffic will not help either. And always make sure you check for pests etc... as well as washing before use.
TM
soupdragon100 likes this.
Old 25-07-2019, 03:25 AM
Hatchling

Sorry to state the obvious here but, if they have been sprayed with any pesticides I wouldn't let your beardie have any. Not exactly sure what your definition of organic would be.
Old 25-07-2019, 04:22 AM
No Life Member
Reviews: 30

The tortoise table is the best and most up to date list published, I find that a lot of the items listed on there are quite transferable to other species, including BDís. Fed weeds to my my guys for many years and have never observed ill effects, biochemical or otherwise.

Good luck.