Keeping leopard geckos in a fish tank - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards

Old 21-08-2019, 01:14 AM
Egg
Default Keeping leopard geckos in a fish tank

(i hope i'm posting this in the right place)

hello everyone i'm new to the site and have been thinking of getting leopard geckos for a long time now i have heard that some people keep them in old fish tanks and was wondering if my fish tank would be suitable

this is the tank i own https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...%28in-store%29

if not suitable i'm willing to buy a new tank i just wanted to know so i don't sell a perfectly good tank to buy a new one XD

thank you for taking the time to read i appreciate any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-08-2019, 07:55 AM

to the Forum. I've moved your post to the main Lizard section where more people are likely to see it/respond.

No, it is not suitable. A wooden vivarium is preferable - the Gecko will feel safer with three wooden sides, the temperatures are easier to maintain etc.

You really only want to get one. They do much better on their own.

Have a read through of the posts in this section, there is a lot of information regarding setups as things have changed so much over the years. You are also better to buy the equipment needed individually rather than a 'starter kit'. A UV source is also recommended.
Old 21-08-2019, 08:11 AM
Premier Citizen

That tank is not suitable.
Its 2ft long, a foot deep and a foot and a half high, minimum recommended size for one adult Leo is 3ft long, 1.5ft deep, 1.5ft high.

You can use glass, its not the best choice, wooden vivs are far more suited and also come in the sizes you really want at a cheaper price (the one you link is £135, for that money, you would be able to buy a 4ft long 2ft deep 2ft high wooden viv...) Its also far easier to setup the lighting in a wooden viv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-08-2019, 01:23 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDawn93 View Post
(i hope i'm posting this in the right place)

hello everyone i'm new to the site and have been thinking of getting leopard geckos for a long time now i have heard that some people keep them in old fish tanks and was wondering if my fish tank would be suitable

this is the tank i own https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...%28in-store%29

if not suitable i'm willing to buy a new tank i just wanted to know so i don't sell a perfectly good tank to buy a new one XD

thank you for taking the time to read i appreciate any help
So I am going to agree with the other posters in saying its not particular suitable to keep leopard geckos in a fish tank, I just thought I'd expand and try give some reasoning because as you may have seen there is still a fair amount of information out there saying it is okay. Part of this is as time moves on, reptile keepers are doing more and more to increase the welfare of their animals in the keep, so husbandry methods will change over time.

So one of the biggest changes seen is the increase in recommended size of enclosure, part of this is the idea that you should always give as much space as possible for your animal, they will use it. However I have more of a leaning it lends its hand into making setting up a proper thermal gradient within the tank.

It used to be that you could stick a heat mat on the tank and done. However now it is suggested to get the basking surface temperature up to 45C to improve their digestion. But also with this having the correct environmental conditions significantly reduces the risk of impaction from loose substrate. It is feasible to get that high temperatures using a heat mat, so the trend has gone over towards white spot lamp or the new Deep Heat Projector made by Arcadia. This is where the extra size of the vivarium can come into play, with the larger area the cool end will be able to stay at the required temperatures without overheating and without additional ventilation.

Also the choice of wood over glass, as wood is a much better insulator then glass, you are able to keep more of the heat within the vivarium so you can use lower wattage bulbs and increase efficiency in the heating system. The other factor is that most reptiles, as they are prey animals, will feel more secure in a more enclosed style vivarium, i.e. if they can only see out of one way instead of five.

The other factor as Azastral did comment is that glass aquariums can often be significantly more expensive then their wooden counterparts, but also if you are DIY capable enough, building wooden vivariums is a fairly simple process.

TM