Lighting & heating Bearded Dragon - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Lizards
Register RFUK Articles Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Old 25-08-2019, 05:51 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey02 View Post
A local place stocks this substrate

''Arcadia Reptile EarthMix Arid is a potent and eco-friendly, Bio-Active ready planting medium. It has been specifically formulated by the world’s leading reptile care and plant growth experts and contains organic compounds and worm manure to be easily assessable for plants of arid origin''

How much substrate will I need for a 4x2x2 foot Viv? They do a 10L bag
Honestly I haven't bought reptile specific substrate ever for any of my animals. I use a mixture of organic topsoil and play sand, with the additive of crushed charcoal for bioactive tanks and orchid bark/spag moss in high humidity enclosures. Generally speaking it is 50/50 mix will do of soil to sand, but for a more desert species like bearded dragons i'd say up it to 60 sand/40 soil.

General rule of thumb when dealing with substrate 1000 litre is equal to 1 cubic meter. I.e. 1mx1mx1m. Now we don't need that much but we can use maths to work out how much we need. Assuming you are going for a standard enclosure they normally have a 10cm high front panel on the bottom so substrate depth goes up to that mark. 4ft into meters in 1.2m and 2ft is 60cm. So we have a volume to fill of 120cmx60cmx10cm which roughly 0.072 cubic metres. So you will need roughly 72L of substrate to fill the tank.

Now buying the Arcadia mix will cost you around £80, where as visit your local B&Q or equivalent and for two 25L bags of topsoil and three bags of 15kg soil will roughly come to £15.

Now if you do want to go for a bioactive enclosure with plants and a clean up crew. The addition of crushed charcoal will help supplement the clean up crew, and if you need additional drainage the addition of crushed pumice is perfect addition.

TM
Joey02 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-08-2019, 06:16 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise Man View Post
Honestly I haven't bought reptile specific substrate ever for any of my animals. I use a mixture of organic topsoil and play sand, with the additive of crushed charcoal for bioactive tanks and orchid bark/spag moss in high humidity enclosures. Generally speaking it is 50/50 mix will do of soil to sand, but for a more desert species like bearded dragons i'd say up it to 60 sand/40 soil.

General rule of thumb when dealing with substrate 1000 litre is equal to 1 cubic meter. I.e. 1mx1mx1m. Now we don't need that much but we can use maths to work out how much we need. Assuming you are going for a standard enclosure they normally have a 10cm high front panel on the bottom so substrate depth goes up to that mark. 4ft into meters in 1.2m and 2ft is 60cm. So we have a volume to fill of 120cmx60cmx10cm which roughly 0.072 cubic metres. So you will need roughly 72L of substrate to fill the tank.

Now buying the Arcadia mix will cost you around £80, where as visit your local B&Q or equivalent and for two 25L bags of topsoil and three bags of 15kg soil will roughly come to £15.

Now if you do want to go for a bioactive enclosure with plants and a clean up crew. The addition of crushed charcoal will help supplement the clean up crew, and if you need additional drainage the addition of crushed pumice is perfect addition.

TM

Wow 72L is alot. Ill go the top soil and sand mix route. I understand that spot cleaning is needed when the dragon goes to the toilet but how often would you change the entire substrate?
Old 25-08-2019, 06:21 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey02 View Post
Wow 72L is alot. Ill go the top soil and sand mix route. I understand that spot cleaning is needed when the dragon goes to the toilet but how often would you change the entire substrate?
If you go bio-active route it isn't that often, but just whenever the substrate is really bad, could be 3 months, or 6-12 months.

TM
Joey02 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-09-2019, 01:17 PM
Egg

Hello all. Just a little update. The viv arrived yesterday. I'll be collecting the dragon next week. I added my top soil and sand mix. I'm a little concerned on the dampness of it hence the fan running. How moist should the substrate be? It not dripping water or anything and it's not so dry as if it will flow through your fingers like sand on the beach. Is there a correct texture? It's a 35 litre bag if top soil and 25kg bag of sand. I might need to empty some out and add more sand.
Attached Thumbnails
Lighting & heating Bearded Dragon-img_20190919_121026_1568891586047.jpg  

Old 19-09-2019, 03:11 PM
Premier Citizen

When you first put a substrate layer in (particularly homemixes) its often a bit more damp than it should be, and will take a few days of the viv running to bring it down.

Its good youve got a week to put it together, get the viv all setup and the substrate all patted down and let the viv run.
It will have a few days getting rid of the immediate moisture, and retain some underneath where its been compacted a bit, and then once thats done the viv will begin to settle over the next few days.

You occationally mist in the viv, so daily/every other day just to refresh it a bit, not soak it. and the basking lamp will then provide a drier area and theres a little humidity in the cool end, which should then also have shade and some hiding areas
Old 25-09-2019, 04:17 PM
Egg

Ok I'm a little concerned. I picked up the baby bearded dragon a few days early. I have him/her since Saturday evening. I understand that it will take time to settle in and get used to it's surroundings etc. But I'm not happy with it's feeding. It's eats crickets now and again. Under 10 a day. Maybe 2 wax worms per day and it has not touched veg or water yet.

I have tried dripping water on it's snout etc but it does not lick it off as suggested. I have kept handling to a minimum so far. It's a little skittish. I put it in a shollow basin today for 3 mins and misted it.

It is slowly getting more accustomed to it's surroundings but I would like to see it feed more.

The basking flood I'm using is only getting to 38,39 degrees do I'm picking up a better spot bulb tomorrow that should get it to 45 degrees.

Any advice ?
Old 25-09-2019, 04:52 PM
Egg

just some pictures and just to add the thermometer is reading 30 degrees and the humidity is at 70. It shed some skin yesterday and it is 8 weeks old.
Attached Thumbnails
Lighting & heating Bearded Dragon-d1.jpg  

Lighting & heating Bearded Dragon-d2.jpg  

Lighting & heating Bearded Dragon-d3.jpg  

Old 26-09-2019, 10:36 AM
Premier Citizen

Not eating is a classic sign of relocation stress, especially with young beardies. If its the same in a week then start worrying

Tags
bearded dragon light heat